My potentially future NGSD

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

My potentially future NGSD

Post by Luccistar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:39 pm

So I've been flattering the idea of owning a dingo or a New Guinea singing dog one day. Well now, my dream may have the chance to come true! This little guy here is for sale, he was listed exactly 1 month and 2 days ago. I really, really hope he hasn't been sold yet.
I will call the guy who listed the ad as soon as it's a reasonable time (I won't bother him at 7h30 in the morning :lol: )

Anyways, since NGSD are so rare, and thought to be extinct in the wild (and less than 300 in captivity) I would try and find a female from a zoo, or a wildlife refugee, he could breed with once he'd be older. But that's in the eventually I get him.

Please cross your fingers for me!!! Can't wait to call that guy. Will keep you all updated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: My potentially future NGSD

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:45 pm

You should speak with Denise (username "michifloo" here on the forum) as she owns / fosters / rehomes NGSDs.
It is a good idea to learn more about the breed and their specific requirements...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luccistar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you for her username Sylvaen! I actually saw videos of her NGSD on Youtube, and asked her if she could give me her name on the forum (someone was talking to her about the Tamaskan forum, so I figured she was on it).

I actually researched about them, I've been doing it since last year. I've done it before too, but not as obsessively as last year (and now).
I will contact her ASAP, thank you very much for the help!

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

New Guinea Singing Dog

Post by Luccistar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:24 am

After researching about these dogs for about 2-3 years (and loving them all my life)! I finally have the chance to get one of my own.

Next week, or in two weeks, a baby Guinea Dingo will become part of our family. It will be one of the typical ''orange'' colored ones, gender unknown yet as I don't really care about it. Working with foxes has made me notice that these dogs have basically the same behavior, and require almost the same things! My experience with foxes will finally be very valuable in this situation ;)

I will keep you all closely updated with every step of my future pup's life. Pictures, stories and everything else! The breeder informed me I was the only one in Canada (with an Ontarian zoo, a guy in Ontario and a lady in Alberta) that owned these Dingoes. But that really does make sense as there are less than 500 left in the whole world, from what I've been reading.

Anyways, the little guy or girl will be very, very spoiled, and definitely become a best friend!

Here's a picture attached; I will get one of the pups seen in the picture (at least that's what I think, but I'm pretty sure it will be one of them).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Very interesting. :)
NGSDs are quite "special" dogs of course, not really domesticated, but as you seem to have experience with other wild animals I'm sure you know what you're getting into, not like someone expecting to get an average domestic dog.

I don't know all that much about NGSDs however, and I would want to ask you how much of this video you find accurate. ;) (Since I know Dogs/Cats/Pets 101 is not always entirely fact-checked. At least I know Dr. ALice Moon-Fanelli herself lives with a NGSD.)

Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't know if that dog is truly a NGSD, like Debby said, please contact Denise. She's the expert on these. Based on what I've read off from owners of Australian Dingoes and New Guinea Highland dogs, the former is very wild temperament-wise (almost like that of an upper mid-content wolfdog) and not suitable for a domestic home. The New Guinea Highland dog on the other hand is much closer to the domestic dog even though they're said to be the ancestors of the Australian Dingoes (aka Australian wolves; the Dingoes have been listed as a subspecies of the Grey wolf that diverged off from the domestic dog after having reverted to the wild for thousands of years).

Alternatively, you can also try looking for other primitive pariah breeds like the Carolina Dogs, the C'Naan, and the Korean Jindo, all of which are very similar to those Oceanic primitive dogs IF you don't have any luck with getting this dog or IF the dog is not a NGSD but some mutt. Be warn though, SOME of these dogs are known to sport the Dingo's wild temperament and are not for everyone!

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 am

Wow, never heard of them before!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:21 am

Do keep us updated on the status. I'd love to learn more about your future NGHD :D
Tatzel wrote:Wow, never heard of them before!
A quick walk-through. Basically the New Guinea Highland Dogs (NGHD) and the Australian Dingoes are wild/semi-wild primitive dogs that were brought into these islands thousands of years ago from the Far-East. They used to be domestic dogs but some later on escaped into the wild and evolved into these wild dogs. The NGHD, formerly listed as an independant species of wild dog (Canis hallstromi) distinct from the domestic dog and Grey wolf, has recently been merged with the Australian dingoes (Canis lupus dingo), and thus are now part of this unique Grey wolf subspecies native to Oceania. The NGHD is described by some to be still closer to a domestic dog in terms of their temperament and some have been successfully re-domesticated to certain extents, but the same cannot be said for the true dingoes in Australia whose temperaments are identical to that of those Far-Eastern subspecies of the Grey wolf. The dingoes (the NGHD included as they're considered a version of them) is also considered by many today to be the most distinct subspecies of the Grey wolf than any other subspecies given they're descended from domestic dogs and not from other wild Grey wolf subspecies, have a brain size 30% smaller than that of the Grey wolf, have curled tails that differ from wolves, and dog-like facial expressions.

There are also three other breeds that are very similar to these primitive dogs, those being the C'Naan dogs, the Carolina dogs, and the Korean Jindo. These breeds are also slightly wild like and not recommended for the first time owners.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm

ooh very cute :D