Ever heard of coydwolf?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Ever heard of coydwolf?

Post by Luccistar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm not talking abou the coywolf, or the coydog. Literally, COYDWOLF (a coyote X a dog X a wolf) I think it would be interesting to see such an animal. Looking forward to see your answers! :)

PS: Did you hear about the Liliger? (female liger (which is tiger X lion) X lion) I have a picture somewhere in the folders, I will post it up later. They sure are beautiful, though.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ever heard of coydwolf?

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Luccistar wrote:PS: Did you hear about the Liliger? (female liger (which is tiger X lion) X lion) I have a picture somewhere in the folders, I will post it up later. They sure are beautiful, though.
I thought such a combination would be impossible as I was under the impression that ligers were infertile, as with all true hybrids.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luccistar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 pm

That's what I thought, too, Sylvaen. However, it seems that only FEMALE ligers are fertile. Pretty much like Savannah cats (serval X cat). The F1 savannah females are fertile, but the males aren't (males have to be at least F3 in order to be fertile, for Savannahs).

Notice the liliger's tiger-like shape, lion color BUT with those jaguar spots... pretty interesting what genetics can do, uh?

EDIT: Confirms what I just said about females being fertile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liliger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:17 am

wow, very interesting - thanks for sharing!

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 am

Luccistar wrote:I'm not talking abou the coywolf, or the coydog. Literally, COYDWOLF (a coyote X a dog X a wolf) I think it would be interesting to see such an animal. Looking forward to see your answers! :)
They are normally just called coydogs. And not that special as I own 3 of them ;)

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luccistar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Aren't coydogs the result of a coyote X dog mating though?
And coywolves, the result of coyote X wolf mating?

So your three loves are part coyote, part wolf and part dog? :) I would LOVE to see pictures of them, if you don't mind sharing.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 am

Small correction on myself : 2 of them are coyote X husky X wolf. The 3rd is only coyote X husky.

I never use the term coywolves or coydwolves. Even tho it might me technically correct. They are just coydogs to me, and for the fast majority of people I just call them wolfdogs or huskymix.

Maybe I will post some pics, altho I dont really share too much pics of them. I dont like to encourage people to keep these animals as pets. In most cases it doesnt end well for the animals. Owning coyotes in your house is nothing like having a dog or even a wolfdog. They are a complete league of their own.

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 am

I think we have a bit of confusion here. :P
Karen wrote:
Luccistar wrote:I'm not talking abou the coywolf, or the coydog. Literally, COYDWOLF (a coyote X a dog X a wolf) I think it would be interesting to see such an animal. Looking forward to see your answers! :)
They are normally just called coydogs. And not that special as I own 3 of them ;)
Karen wrote:Small correction on myself : 2 of them are coyote X husky X wolf. The 3rd is only coyote X husky.

I never use the term coywolves or coydwolves. Even tho it might me technically correct. They are just coydogs to me, and for the fast majority of people I just call them wolfdogs or huskymix.
So, Coydog = Coyote + Dog.
Coywolf = Coyote + Wolf.
Coydwolf = Coyote + Dog + Wolf.

You said you had three of them, and it seems you do have two, and the third one would be "just" coydog. ;) "I never use the term coywolves or coydwolves", no, of course you shouldn't call them coywolves if they have dog in them, since coywolf = Coyote + Wolf only. :) Am I clearing it up or just making people more confused?
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Karen wrote:Maybe I will post some pics, altho I dont really share too much pics of them. I dont like to encourage people to keep these animals as pets. In most cases it doesnt end well for the animals. Owning coyotes in your house is nothing like having a dog or even a wolfdog. They are a complete league of their own.
Understandable... though I also think it is very important to educate people. "Exotic pets" can be a big attraction, but the reality is SO different and most people simply don't have the experience, facilities, resources, time, and finances to handle such a "pet" - which means an unhappy ending for that animal, unless it can be adopted by a rescue center / sanctuary. Maybe if you post some photos and explain some of these issues, it might make people think twice!! :)

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Maybe if you post some photos and explain some of these issues, it might make people think twice!! :)
I understand what you mean, but dont really believe that is how mankind works :oops:

Besides that, it is really difficult to actually give a realistic picture of how a coy differs from a dog or wolfdog. Dont think I have the capability to really explain in such a way people understand what makes them different.