Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Post Reply
User avatar
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by chelle784 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:34 pm


User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5201
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:03 pm

so tragic and unnecessary... :(
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

User avatar
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by chelle784 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 pm

I know :( especially as other zoos offered to take him!

User avatar
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Katlin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:09 pm

I was just reading about this :(
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

User avatar
Thessa
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands, near Zwolle

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Thessa » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 pm

I personally don't see what is more tragic about this giraffes death then the deaths of the thousands of animals that are killed for us (and the lions) to eat.

Here you can read what the zoo has to say about it:
http://zoo.dk/BesogZoo/Nyhedsarkiv/2014 ... raffe.aspx

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4802
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:22 pm

I believe it's a bit more tragic because they did it in front of children...
Image

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Gaby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Thessa wrote:I personally don't see what is more tragic about this giraffes death then the deaths of the thousands of animals that are killed for us (and the lions) to eat.

Here you can read what the zoo has to say about it:
http://zoo.dk/BesogZoo/Nyhedsarkiv/2014 ... raffe.aspx
This is my opinion too. The giraffe had a better life than most cows, pigs or chickens. People didn't have to be there I guess.

User avatar
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by chelle784 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Gaby wrote:
Thessa wrote:I personally don't see what is more tragic about this giraffes death then the deaths of the thousands of animals that are killed for us (and the lions) to eat.

Here you can read what the zoo has to say about it:
http://zoo.dk/BesogZoo/Nyhedsarkiv/2014 ... raffe.aspx
This is my opinion too. The giraffe had a better life than most cows, pigs or chickens. People didn't have to be there I guess.

You both have a good point but would your opinions change had it been a dog or a wolf? I think peoples' opinions change depending on the animal and how we see the animal (I am guilty of this). I am sad because of this story. Probably because of the fact it is a giraffe.

I don't agree with what happened (because other people offered to take the giraffe) yet I do eat meat. I don't agree with killing dogs for food yet I still eat meat. I also don't like the really popular 'Canada Goose' jackets here because of the coyote fur hood trim yet I wear shoes that have leather. This probably makes me a hypocrite lol.

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Gaby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 pm

chelle784 wrote:
Gaby wrote:
Thessa wrote:I personally don't see what is more tragic about this giraffes death then the deaths of the thousands of animals that are killed for us (and the lions) to eat.

Here you can read what the zoo has to say about it:
http://zoo.dk/BesogZoo/Nyhedsarkiv/2014 ... raffe.aspx
This is my opinion too. The giraffe had a better life than most cows, pigs or chickens. People didn't have to be there I guess.

You both have a good point but would your opinions change had it been a dog or a wolf? I think peoples' opinions change depending on the animal and how we see the animal (I am guilty of this). I am sad because of this story. Probably because of the fact it is a giraffe.

I don't agree with what happened (because other people offered to take the giraffe) yet I do eat meat. I don't agree with killing dogs for food yet I still eat meat. I also don't like the really popular 'Canada Goose' jackets here because of the coyote fur hood trim yet I wear shoes that have leather. This probably makes me a hypocrite lol.
I don't think my opinion would change if it was a dog or a wolf, but dogs are easier to be rehomed than a giraffe, so I guess I would find that quite stupid. ;) This giraffe was bound to rules and regulations from the breeding programme, which has been set up to breed as healthy as possible and because of those rules they couldn't get him to another zoo I believe, but it feels kinda strange that they didn't try it. Why they didn't prevent the giraffes from breeding in the first place is a question for me, I don't think you should breed with animals if you can't place them anywhere else. Maybe they did breed him for his flesh to serve the lions? I don't know. But zebra's and antilopes are killed too in zoo's when they have too much of them, but they don't have a name like Marius did. And I can say this now, reading on the internet, but I don't know if I would feel the same way if I was there. ;)

I don't wear fur, because I don't like animals been killed only for their fur and fur is an unnecassery product. Leather comes with meat and the animal is not killed for the leather alone, so that's a product I do use. So it's the same with me as far as fur goes. ;)

User avatar
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by chelle784 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Those are good points!

I also read that a 'rich benefactor' had offered 450k to rehome him but I don't think it was the same link I put above. It just seems weird that a lot of zoos including one in the UK offered to take him and said they had capacity to do so and I too would question why the breeding happened in the first place.

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Gaby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm

chelle784 wrote:Those are good points!

I also read that a 'rich benefactor' had offered 450k to rehome him but I don't think it was the same link I put above. It just seems weird that a lot of zoos including one in the UK offered to take him and said they had capacity to do so and I too would question why the breeding happened in the first place.
Yes, that's weird for me too, but I'm not into rules and regulations about that kind of animals, maybe it just wasn't possible? Well, sad for Marius, but maybe nice for the other animals that didn't have to die to serve as food for the lions. But it still does feel a bit strange if you say that other zoos offered that much money. :|

User avatar
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by chelle784 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 pm

I had to search for it to make sure I hadn't misread anything!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 17317.html

Ignoring thousands of pleas for clemency, at least two wildlife parks that wanted to re-home him and an offer of £415,000 from a wealthy benefactor, Copenhagen Zoo went ahead with the killing of Marius the giraffe on Sunday morning.

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Gaby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 pm

Hmm, that's indeed much money, really strange. Got no explanation for that, or the rules must have been that strictly that they couldn't take the offer? :?

User avatar
Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Nimwey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 am

Now, I don't see how this is any worse than all the cattle, pigs and chickens killed every day to feed us. (Lions need to eat too, and if not this animal, some other would have to take his place.) Marius at least lived a good life. And the giraffe isn't endangered either.

But I do agree it's weird that they wouldn't let anyone else take him, or that they breed surplus animals.
BTW, they didn't kill him in front of visitors, they killed him before opening hours, then chopped him upp before crowds who were free to leave.
Image
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Tiantai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:57 am

I think much of the reaction was sparked by the fact that they demonstrated this in front of outsiders, kids included. It is a crazy case nonetheless :?
Image

User avatar
Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Nimwey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:34 pm

What's so bad about letting kids (and adults) see what chopping up an animal looks like? Everyone of us knew about that a couple of generations ago, it was everyday life. I doubt they will be traumatized, and like I said, they were free to leave. No one forced them to look.
Image
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5201
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 pm

I think it's sad because we accept zoos as a type of "sanctuary" for wild animals - where they are bred and raised in captivity to help educate the public and assist in international conservation efforts for their wild cousins.

The problem is that zoos also operate from a business perspective: charging entry fees; selling and trading animals to other zoos; providing enclosures where the animals can be observed as a form of entertainment (a balance between maximum viewing area vs the minimum required space for those animals to live a "comfortable" life, which is often just a small percentage of the size of their natural environment). Zoos need to make money, but their function is not exactly necessary - the world could easily exist without zoos while the same cannot so easily be said for the livestock / industrial farming industry. The fact is that people need to eat and, as a whole, we have come to accept that domestic livestock serve a purpose: to be bred, raised and then slaughtered for food and meat byproducts. This is a more fundamental "need" than a zoo. Arguably, all humans *could* live a vegan lifestyle, which would be better and healthier for the whole planet BUT it simply won't happen, at least not any time soon - too many people, industries and cultures rely on meat production.

When functioning properly, zoos should serve as a valuable cultural asset to educate and inform the general public... and to assist with international conservation efforts. In the past, circuses with animals were also considered to be culturally acceptable but this too has changed as cultural perspectives have evolved. Now many people agree that animals should serve as more than just basic entertainment. In contemporary society, most people abhor the idea of wild-caught animals being raised and trained to perform tricks for a paying audience. I think the main issue with what the Copenhagen zoo did stems from the fact that the zoo treated Marius as nothing more than a commodity: something that they bred and raised (why was he born in the first place, if he had no purpose to serve?) and then destroyed on a whim, without seeking alternative options, which were offered. His destruction implied that his life had no real meaning or purpose, other than as a potential attraction... even in death (dismembered before an audience). Thus, it would seem that the zoo has no real respect for the animals in their care, apart from as a source of profit. Which undermines the fundamental purpose of a zoo, and undervalues the lives of the animals on display.
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

User avatar
Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Nimwey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Nice post, :) and I agree about the "symbolism" of it, that might make people upset.
Sylvaen wrote:The problem is that zoos also operate from a business perspective: charging entry fees; selling and trading animals to other zoos; providing enclosures where the animals can be observed as a form of entertainment (a balance between maximum viewing area vs the minimum required space for those animals to live a "comfortable" life, which is often just a small percentage of the size of their natural environment).
Now I'm sticking my neck out, but this is (partly) why I am for private ownership of exotic animals. Responsible private owners treat their animals the same (or better...) as responsible zoos and sanctuaries, but unlike a zoo, private owners can spend all the money they want on their animals, without having to make a whole attraction for people as well.
Image
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Tiantai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 pm

I couldn't agree more. Many zoos these day operate from a money-making root so to the point that it becomes expensive and if they cannot provide the right shelter or keep up with the animal's needs, there is bound to be some unfortunate events.
Image

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Danish zoo kills healthy giraffe, feeds body to lions

Post by Nino » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Being a Danish person I do not at all agree with the putting Marius down, BUT the reasoning for this is that Giraffes are not a species that has a lot of numbers having declined to less than 80,000 individuals, this one subspecies is less than 5,000 left, yet not considered endangered.
But what I am most furious about is that he was even bred in the first place, why would you allow a pairing of animals who genetically makes so little sense that the offspring have to be pts. when the animal is younger than 2 years? This is what I am furious about.

Putting an animal to sleep and feeding it to the lions on the other hand.. that is nature .. they get horse and cows all the time.. why not giraffe? (I actually wouldn't mind tasting giraffe)
>> Nino <<
Image

Post Reply