Twitch Plays Pokemon - maddening

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Twitch Plays Pokemon - maddening

Post by balto13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:54 pm

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon
Description:

TwitchPlaysPokemon is stream that lets you play Pokemon with a lot of other people by typing commands into chat.

It was created as an experiment to test the viability of this format, the way people interact with the input system and the way they interact socially with each other.
Anarchy mode and Democracy mode

TwitchPlaysPokemon now has two modes for determining the input to make in the game, they are called anarchy mode and democracy mode.

Anarchy mode is the "classic" mode, where everyone's inputs are applied immediately.

Democracy mode chooses the most popular input provided during a 20 second voting period.

In order to switch from one mode to the other a certain number of votes must be for the opposing mode.

To get from anarchy mode to democracy mode 80% of the votes must be for democracy mode.

To get from democracy mode to anarchy mode 50% of the votes must be for anarchy mode.

The reason for this asymmetry is that with the equal 75% it took a smaller majority to disrupt democracy mode then it did to reinstate anarchy mode.

In democracy mode you can compile a sequence of inputs. left2 will move left twice, left2down2 will move left twice and down twice.
~ Quoted from the link

When in Anarchy mode I can only handle watching tid bits here and there, I can watch more when in democracy mode. Still, it can be a bit of a snore in either mode but it is really interesting to me to see how people try to get through the game (both legitimately and as trolls) and I loved this game when it first came out.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Twitch Plays Pokemon - maddening

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks for sharing! In terms of play-mode it seems very frustrating; but as a social experiment in cooperation and teamwork it could produce some interesting results.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Democracy!!! Seriously this thing is crazy. I got on today and we were back in Pallet Town! How did that happen!?!

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:53 am

Valravn wrote:Democracy!!! Seriously this thing is crazy. I got on today and we were back in Pallet Town! How did that happen!?!

Because they need to get the final badge! :D :D yes, they got the volcano badge AND managed to surf to pallet town :'D so.darn.proud! hahaha! lets see if they can beat opponent (I always named him Gary) who I assume has a crazy name, and E4

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Couldn't resist.... :oops: :lol:

Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Katlin wrote:Couldn't resist.... :oops: :lol:
there are a lot of hilarious memes for twitch plays pokemon xD

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Oak is an agent of the Dome Fossil!

edit: A very good article about Twitch Plays Pokemon: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack ... haps_i.php

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:31 am

ALL HAIL LORD HELIX (formerly helix fossil)

I've been watching this on and off since I became aware of it (which was shortly after they beat Misty and trying to get past notorious THE LEDGE route).

Democracy would work like a charm if it wasn't for the start9 trolls and the ridicolous lag. I kinda like anarchy better simply because it's far more interessting that they get something done with several thousands of people giving input.

I'm looking forward to them beating the game and I wonder when that'll happen. There is another notorious ledge ahead of them...

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Ya know, it's pretty amazing when you think about it. I mean, people always comment about how nothing happens, and how they spend hours unable to get through one room. And yet, they now have all the badges, caught a legendary, and are about to beat the entire game.

EDIT: It has begun! We are at the Elite 4!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:04 pm

.. I keep getting "banned" (Sorry, we were unable to connect to chat. Reconnecting in ** seconds) in the chat .. and the seconds getting longer and longer.. lol
>> Nino <<

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Nino wrote:.. I keep getting "banned" (Sorry, we were unable to connect to chat. Reconnecting in ** seconds) in the chat .. and the seconds getting longer and longer.. lol
Yeah I had that problem too. I keep another tab open and switch back and forth between them so I don't post too often. *shrugs*

Edit: I was reading through TPP tvtropes and found this one. I would read a TPP horror novel! :twisted:
Cosmic Horror Story: For those that consider Red to be sentient, the entire thought of having thousands of commands issued by omnipotent beings (many of which are malicious or just kind of jerks) to your fragile body at any given moment, and being forced to do all of them in rapid succession, regardless if they directly conflict with one another, leaves for a miserable existence. The creepiest part? This is all Played for Laughs!
To hammer the point home ever harder, the direction the story has taken would fit right in with the Cthulhu Mythos. An insane and insomniac protagonist, bizarre religions formed around equally bizarre things with bizarre names (it's all too easy to compare the Helix Fossil/Omanyte to Cthulhu himself at this point), and strange and dangerous creatures everywhere are all hallmarks of something H.P. Lovecraft would write.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:21 am

They beat the game!!!! :D I saw them beat it! Whoo hoo!

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:37 am

It was so awesome!!!! Well done guys!

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Guys… there is a petition to make March 1st National Helix Day. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... h/vcPGF0Tk