Frøya and her husky rival

A place to share your links to videos of Tamaskan Dogs or wolves (YouTube, etc.)
martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Frøya and her husky rival

Post by martinbernstein » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Do your tams curl their tails like this when they're excited?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Frøya and her husky rival

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:02 am

They shouldn't curly tails in Tamaskans are a fault
>> Nino <<

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am

Nino wrote:They shouldn't curly tails in Tamaskans are a fault - but it's probably a RPK Tamaskan Wolfdog, and he dont care to keep to standarts
Nino I think this is her tamaskan Froya who is from Inna & Mikko, so no Tamaskan Wolfdog... ;)

My female keeps her tail high when she is exited and it does sometimes curls a bit then but it doesn't curl over her back like you see in the movie. I think this would be considerd a fault. How is her tail when she walks normal?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 am

Rahne wrote: Nino I think this is her tamaskan Froya who is from Inna & Mikko, so no Tamaskan Wolfdog... ;)

My female keeps her tail high when she is exited and it does sometimes curls a bit then but it doesn't curl over her back like you see in the movie. I think this would be considerd a fault. How is her tail when she walks normal?
It is - i might have mixed with another video when I looked to see what it was :lol:

Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sølves Tail only bends a little, never any curling, mostly straight
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 am

The lighter color one has a normal Tamaskan tail, with a bit of a curve / sickle-shape when excited.
The darker brown once has a *really* bad tail, which is curved right over the back - even touching! This is definitely a fault for the breed standard... :shock:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

Sylvaen wrote:The lighter color one has a normal Tamaskan tail, with a bit of a curve / sickle-shape when excited.
The darker brown once has a *really* bad tail, which is curved right over the back - even touching! This is definitely a fault for the breed standard... :shock:
I was actually thinking that the husky had a much more tam tail than the tam had :lol:
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Yeah but which is the husky and which is the Tamaskan? LOL

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 pm

The Tamaskan is the darker, bigger one ;) I agree, it looks like the husky has a better tail.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:35 pm

But this topic is called: "Frøya and her husky rival"
And Frøya is light colored... :?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Sylvaen wrote:But this topic is called: "Frøya and her husky rival"
And Frøya is light colored... :?
I'm confused now :lol:
>> Nino <<

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Ulric does curl his tail like that too when he's really excited :? I know it's a fault that he gets from his sire Odin (Moonstone Make Me Pure). Though I have seen him keep his tail straight sometimes, it's like he just holds it which ever way he feels.
Frøya is looking great by the way :)

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 pm

For those who are confused- Froya is indeed a pure Tamaskan from an Inna and Mikko breeding, not from RPK. She is the larger, darker colored one. Her tail hangs straight down usually, except when she's excited which is usually in the dog park. But you know what? Fault shmault. She's an awesome dog, best match I could ever imagine.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:51 pm

martinbernstein wrote:For those who are confused- Froya is indeed a pure Tamaskan from an Inna and Mikko breeding, not from RPK. She is the larger, darker colored one. Her tail hangs straight down usually, except when she's excited which is usually in the dog park. But you know what? Fault shmault. She's an awesome dog, best match I could ever imagine.
She is very beautiful indeed - and Sorry for the confusion I think I was a bit TOO tired when posting that :oops:
Ofcause I knew that Frøya isn't a RPK before - I just didn't register that it was her :lol:
>> Nino <<

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:48 pm

She must have got it from Odin, but ofcourse it doesn't change the fact that she is an amazing dog ;)

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Rahne wrote:She must have got it from Odin, but ofcourse it doesn't change the fact that she is an amazing dog ;)
Thank you:) Her breeder says the tail curl likely comes from Inna, her mother. Odin is not in Froya's lineage as far as I can tell. Both Inna's parents were Alba breeders. Mikko, Froya's sire, was from a Dingo and Susi litter, and he has a perfect Tam tail.

This photo of Froya is more representative of her usual tail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Inna her father is Odin (Moonstone Make Me Pure) ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:47 pm

martinbernstein wrote:For those who are confused- Froya is indeed a pure Tamaskan from an Inna and Mikko breeding, not from RPK. She is the larger, darker colored one. Her tail hangs straight down usually, except when she's excited which is usually in the dog park.
Ahh OK... I was judging from your avatar pic so I thought she was a light / wolfgrey Tamaskan and the one in the video seems much darker / more red - you'll just have to post more pics! hehe I guess she gets the curly tail from Odin (her grandfather), which is a fault that's fairly common in the Alba lines. I just wasn't aware that it was so pronounced from the pics you posted already but it shows more clearly in the video.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Rahne wrote:Inna her father is Odin (Moonstone Make Me Pure) ;)
Correct, Inna is a littermate to my Blaze. He has the same tail. His tail will go right over his back when he gets excited.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 am

Oh man, just saw pics of Odin on FB, his tail snaps right back. In the comment on FB someone mentioned that it may be from Thor the malamute, but from the papers I have it doesn't look like Thor is even in his lineage. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I think he's a beauty, but if his tail was so "bad" by tam standards, why was he used as a breeder? BTW, Blaze is gorgeous. Is it just me or do Alba dogs tend to have more of a ginger thing going on than other lines?

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:41 am

We are not sure where the tail problem came from. Thor is in the pedigree, but too far back to see on paperwork.
Odins father, Robbie was purchased as a pet and not for breeding and Lynn (Blustag) suggested he wasnt bred from when his owner asked, however his owner had a litter to a Finnish import and Alba bought from that litter. When the pup was older Lynn (Blustag) visited and said he was (in a nice way) not very good. She reccommended that he was not bred from. But as you can tell, no one ever listens......lol
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 am

Aha, thanks for that clarification:) Its a shame that this is a disqualifying trait, though i understand of course. From what I can see, Odin has some very beautiful children and grandchildren, despite this flaw showing up in some individuals like Froya.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:38 am

Not a disqualitying factor, but a fault. BTW when we bred Blaze with Tundra, not one puppy has a tail that curled over the back. The Tarheel litter of Tundra and Blaze is now just over two years old and none of them display a curled tail.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Tarheel wrote:Not a disqualitying factor, but a fault. BTW when we bred Blaze with Tundra, not one puppy has a tail that curled over the back. The Tarheel litter of Tundra and Blaze is now just over two years old and none of them display a curled tail.
That is awesome! I was wondering about your pups and their tails John. Glad you said that. Does anyone know the mode of inheritance of curly tails? Is it a recessive genetic mutation like blue eyes in humans? Or is it more of a gradational trait, like skin color in humans?

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 am

Tuskyn (Alba Albyn) is from Odin & Xena and although his tail lifts up when he gets excited (and he fluffs up his hackles) it doesn't flip right over his back. It just lifts and curls slightly. Liz did tell us that Odin's tail wasn't good before we got Tuskyn, but since we weren't going to breed from him, it didn't bother us at all. Turns out his tail is fine :)

Would be interesting to see what the tails are like in Odin's other offspring and like Martin mentions above, if anyone really knows the mode of inheritance? (Froya is beautiful BTW!) :D