Sylvaen's "FIREFOX" Litter!

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Sylvaen's "FIREFOX" Litter!

Post by Sylvaen » Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 am

Just a quick notice to say that contractions have started and pups are ON THE WAY!!
Will post more later once they are born! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Rahne

Re: Vixen's Litter!

Post by Rahne » Tue May 11, 2010 11:58 am

Good Luck! :D

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm

i'll keep my fingers crossed
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue May 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Oh, exciting. Hope all goes well. Look forward to updates.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue May 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Exciting! I hope everything will go as planned. Vixen is beautiful and her character sounds nice too, who is the father of the litter? I hope you'll post a lot of pictures.. ;)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue May 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Woo hoo
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Good luck.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Kelly
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kelly » Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 pm

How exciting. Can't way to see photos of Vixen's pups!

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 pm

wen wrote:it's uncommon to start contractions like that at the middle of a morning, she wanted to be original ;)
I can only hope that I am so lucky :)

Janboreeni
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Janboreeni » Tue May 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Aww fantastic! More Tamaskans in the world! :D
Good luck and all the best.

Jan
-X-

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:58 pm

good luck, :D

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 am

Good luck Debby and Vixen. Keep us updated when you get the time.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 pm

4 boys and 1 girl! All are very big, active and healthy. No complications at birth and all were delivered safely. Vixen is a wonderful mother and very protective of them. She lets us handle and pick them up though... they are gorgeous! :mrgreen:

Anyway, it was a wonderful experience so I'll do a full write-up of the birth tomorrow to share all the details. ;)

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Congrats!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!!!!

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:46 pm

brilliant hope to see lots of pics :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 13, 2010 12:43 am

Oh, Congratulations! That's fantastic. Now get some rest :lol:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu May 13, 2010 9:06 am

Well done Vixen. Look forward to seeing pics of the new arrivals :)
- Fiona -

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu May 13, 2010 9:30 am

Congrats! :D

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu May 13, 2010 9:37 am

Fantastic! Congratulations! Take good care of Vixen and the pups.

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Thu May 13, 2010 9:58 am

congratulation !
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu May 13, 2010 10:53 am

Congratulations! I hope you'll post pictures soon! ;)

Sindi
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sindi » Thu May 13, 2010 3:19 pm

congratulations!!! :) also very curious to the pictures :)

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Thu May 13, 2010 5:57 pm

That's great news :D

Congratulations to all :lol:

Now get some pics up quick!!!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

DUBS
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by DUBS » Fri May 14, 2010 1:33 am

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures!!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat May 15, 2010 1:56 am

As promised... ;)

THE BIRTH OF SYLVAEN'S "FIREFOX" LITTER:

May 11

When I awoke this morning, Vixen was not in her usual spot next to my bed. I was immediately concerned as I could not see her, and this was most out of character. She would always greet me, each morning, by my bed where she slept all night long. After a quick scan of the room, I noticed something strange… a tail, sticking out of my bedroom closet! It was Vixen. She had somehow slid open the door, wedged herself inside, and closed the door behind her, leaving only a narrow gap for her tail to escape; revealing her secret hideout. This was the first sign of her nesting instinct and she was reluctant to leave the secure space. Though there was enough room in there for her to comfortably lie down, it was NOT the place I had in mind, or prepared, for her to have her pups.

I called her over to me and she clambered up onto the bed. The cumbersome burden of her full belly and the weight of the pups had transformed her over recent weeks from an agile, nimble dog into somewhat of a beached whale. I could tell that she would be glad to be rid of the excess weight that was slowing her down, and that the time for the momentous event was near. As she lay next to me on the bed I noticed her shuddering and heavy panting. I was certain that today would be the day!

Instantly, I was on full alert, rushing around the house grabbing towels, blankets, the kettle, scissors, thermometer, hotwater bottles, dental floss and iodine, pretty much anything and everything I could get my hands on and making a pile of it all to take down to the Puppy Room. Vixen just looked at me anxiously with a bemused expression on her face, clearly wondering what all the fuss was about and if I’d lost my mind. It was around 10am and I knew that it could still be hours yet. I was expecting her to give birth very late at night so it came as a bit of a surprise to see her already in Stage 1 labor so early in the morning.

I realized that there was no point in panicking but there was no time to waste either. As another spasm shook her body I went over to comfort her. Her over-sized stomach was literally bursting with pups that were tumbling around inside her like mini acrobats. I figured I’d better clean her nipples so that when the pups arrived they wouldn’t have to suck on dirty teats… sweat and grime had accumulated around them over the past few weeks as, every time she lay down, her nipples would touch the floor. With some warm water and cotton balls, I soon had her cleaned up. By now she’d lost most of the fur on her stomach (nature’s way of providing the pups with easy access to the Milk Bar) so I didn’t worry about trimming her fur. Then, I did what any proud parent would do in that situation and snapped a few photos to mark the occasion.

Image Image Image Image

At this point I called Matija at work to let him know that the pups were on the way and made the announcements via emails and on the forum as well as Facebook. Then I gathered up all the equipment and headed down to the Puppy Room with Jasper and Vixen. Every few minutes she would whine and tremble so I knew I had to get everything ready as soon as possible. Unfortunately the Puppy Room was still a bit chaotic; the plastering and painting were finished and the shelves had been painted and installed, but the room was still very bare. Aside from an armchair and a bare mattress the room was essentially empty. There simply hadn’t been time in the past few days for the finishing touches, what with working on my website, creating an international forum and answering the ever-increasing daily influx of emails. Nonetheless, the time for procrastination was over; now was action time and everything else would just have to wait!

After dumping the items by the door, I immediately set out to get the whelping box in order. It was a large cardboard box that had contained a treadmill, which had been recently delivered to the building. It was very rigid and sturdy but, best of all, the size was ideal: 2 meters long by 1 meter wide… plenty of room for Vixen and the pups for weeks to come. Plus the edge was tall enough to contain the pups as they grew but low enough that Vixen could jump in, from any side, with ease. However, as the construction material was only cardboard it would require some protection for the birthing process. Several sheets of thin plastic, covering the walls and the floor of the box, soon solved that problem and countless layers of newspaper provided an extra absorbing layer. Then I added four or five large, clean, old towels to make a soft layer for Vixen to lie down upon. She was very happy with her whelping box and immediately started pawing and digging at the towels to make a perfect nesting area.

Image Image

While she was getting comfortable, I set about preparing the rest of the room: a lamp here, and old table there, the armchair next to the whelping box, kettle and clean towels ready and waiting. I also prepared a little whelping kit: dental floss to tie the umbilical cords, scissors to cut them and iodine to disinfect them as well as a suction device to clear mucus from the nostrils and mouth. Jasper just looked thoroughly bored with the entire process and lay down on the bare mattress, upon which he soon fell asleep.

Image Image Image Image

After a while it seemed as though Vixen’s contractions were becoming less frequent and less intense so I figured I’d take her out for a walk to see if that would help. She was very reluctant to get out of the whelping box but Jasper was very keen to leave the ultra boring room so I figured a breath of fresh air would do them both good.

Image Image

Once outside, they both did their businesses and after a few minutes Vixen soon began shaking and whining again so we headed back indoors. As soon as we were back in the Puppy Room she headed straight for the whelping box and seemed very relieved to be back. I then spread out some pillows and blankets on the bed and began the waiting process. By this time it was around 2pm and, after an hour or so, it appeared that Vixen had fallen asleep! I figured I’d do the same and took a nap on the bed, next to Jasper. A short while later, I felt Vixen cuddling up beside me: she’d left the whelping box and decided to come snuggle. So there we were, the three of us, napping cozily on the bed… waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Hours passed without any action, Vixen would just shiver occasionally and sometimes groan but not much else.

Finally, just before 6pm, Matija returned from work and was rather surprised to see the pups were still not born yet. I think he’d been expecting to return home to a full house (and secretly hoping to avoid witnessing the gory birthing process!) In the excitement of his return home, Vixen left the whelping box to greet him and her waters broke… all over the carpet. Luckily the Puppy Room carpet is old and knackered so it does not matter, which is ideal as over the upcoming weeks it is sure to get plenty of wear and tear. Anyway, I hurriedly returned her to the whelping box and Matija then took Jasper for a walk while I stayed with Vixen. A couple more hours passed and slowly Vixen’s contractions began to increase and she began panting heavily again. I was really astonished to see the amount of liquid that she was producing. The guidebook stated that there would be plenty but I certainly underestimated the quantity. Several towels were drenched in the copious fluids, which was basically just a clear liquid with the consistency somewhere between water and egg white.

Around 8pm she really began straining so I knew that Stage 2 labor had begun. According to the guidebook, the pups would certainly be born within four hours… otherwise she would need medical attention. So I knew the time was near and, at this point, I was tired of waiting! By this time the liquids became more pinkish in color and, after another hour of more straining and contractions, Vixen then decided she didn’t want to stay in the whelping box any longer! I figured that perhaps she wanted to go out again for another walk… but, no, instead she made a beeline for the mattress! Apparently the whelping box wasn’t good enough anymore… she wanted to give birth on the mattress itself! At this point I drew the line. I would have to sleep on that mattress for the next 2 months, there is no way I would allow her to give birth on it and soak it with all those fluids! Yuck!

So, I returned her to the whelping box and replaced some more of the damp towels with clean, dry ones but she didn’t seem too impressed and I pretty much had to hold / cuddle her in place to keep her there. After a while she lay down and began straining some more. And then, finally, around 10pm, I noticed an amniotic sac beginning to appear! Slowly the opaque bubble began to grow and protrude until it looked somewhat like a cloudy-yellowish water balloon. Vixen started to lick the sack and, according to the guidebook, a puppy’s head and front feet should soon (within a couple of minutes) become visible within the bubble. Except, at that point, Vixen chewed and popped the bubble! There was a gush of liquid and the sack casing disappeared back inside her. Instantly I was concerned; according to the book, the puppy should have appeared within the bubble and both the sack with the puppy inside should have been expelled into the world. But no, there was nothing except fluid. Minutes dragged and I started to panic. According to the guidebook, if a puppy stayed too long in the birth canal with the placenta detached, it could drown. I was soon thinking the worst and read and re-read the section of the guidebook but it wasn’t much help at all. It didn’t mention this scenario at all! Except for all the possible things that could go wrong… definitely not fun to read!

After 10 minutes or so, it appeared that Vixen had stopped straining and was starting to relax so I told Matija to call the vet clinic, all the while worrying for the little life on the line, which didn’t seem any closer to being delivered. The woman at the clinic told us not to worry, that this is not necessarily something to be concerned about and that the pup should be born really soon. She gave us my vet’s mobile number and said to call if there were any problems. After another 10-15 minutes, during which time Vixen wasn’t doing much and there was still no sign of the first pup, I gave my vet a call and he instantly put my mind at ease. He said that sometimes the first sack is empty, just a lubricating bubble, or that sometimes it will burst and the pup will remain up in the womb until the last moment. He said not to worry that the pup could be drowning as the placenta was still attached so it was still surviving through the umbilical cord, even if the liquid surrounding it had already been expelled. With my mind at rest I soon calmed down and let nature take its course.

Vixen didn’t seem at all concerned though and was in no hurry. Matija then decided to take Jasper for another walk and I figured, with them gone, maybe I’d let Vixen out of the whelping box. I put a clean towel on the floor for her to lie and a pillow next to it, for myself. I lay down with my head on the pillow and invited her to hop out. She then snuggled up next to me on her towel and I covered us both with the blanket. As soon as she was comfortable, she started pushing! I couldn’t believe it. Clearly, she just didn’t want to give birth in the whelping box but wanted me right beside her instead. So I sat up, moved the pillow out of the way, and grabbed some more towels. Within a few moments, I noticed something protruding. It was long and limp… a tail. A TAIL?! Pup #1 was coming out backwards!! Unfortunately that meant I had very little to grip on to and would be a bit more difficult than if it had come headfirst because the shoulders are wider than the hips. According to the guidebook, this was a "breech" birth... perhaps that would explain why it had been taking so long up until this point! Anyway, after a few more pushes the rear legs soon appeared, followed by the rest of the body and, finally, the head. I was so worried at first because the pup was completely limp but as soon as it was out of the constricting birth canal, it began to squirm! I helped Vixen to tear the sack from around the head and wipe away the mucus, and she did the rest. She chewed the umbilical cord and ate the sack, as well as the placenta and then licked her baby clean. A baby girl!

At this time, Matija and Jasper returned home and were greatly surprised to see all the commotion. Of course, I re-told all the details and Matija was pretty amazed that he’d missed all the action. Jasper was completely astounded to discover that there was another creature in the room and, of course, wanted to investigate. We let him sniff and say a quick hello and then tied him up out of the way.

Vixen spent a long time cleaning her baby girl and once she was dry we saw that mother and daughter looked very similar in color. Her baby will probably grow up to look a lot like her.

After another long wait, around 35 minutes or so, Pup #2 was on the way… also tail-first! Again Vixen took over her maternal duties and I just helped to clear the airways, she did the rest. This pup was a little red-grey boy… and boy was he loud! He instantly started fussing and pushing his sister to get to a teat, who just grumbled and complained in return. I was really amazed to hear the noises they made… they sounded so much like human babies! After witnessing kitten births, which have very high-pitched squeaks, it was so remarkable to hear these little pups fussing like newborn human babies; absolutely adorable.

After another long wait, around midnight, Pup #3 was born… also backwards! As soon as he was almost dry I could tell that he was another red-grey male, slightly redder than his brother, and I knew it was time to start measuring and cutting the colored identity ribbons! Unless I identified them now, there would be no way to tell them apart later! As all purebred Tamaskan litters are very consistent in type and color, notably so, I knew all the pups would need identity ribbons otherwise it could cause a lot of confusion later on. So, Girl got a pink ribbon, Boy #1 got a blue ribbon, and Boy #2 (the reddest boy) got a red ribbon. According to the ultrasound, the vet had counted 4 pups and, though very difficult to count them precisely on the ultrasound, I was expecting at least one more pup... so started cutting a white ribbon.

A little while later, Pup #4 finally arrived. Another boy! Again tail-first! By this point I was starting to see a pattern. Again Vixen did all the work chewing the cord and eating the afterbirth, etc. However, when he was dry, I could tell that he would be slightly different to his brothers. He was a very dark wolf-grey, almost black, with very little red; instead he had a silvery tint around his ears and hindquarters. He has a cute white stripe running down his belly and the white ribbon suited him nicely. Before long, all 4 pups were dry and happily nursing. Vixen looked very content and peaceful.

Matija decided to head up to bed as he had to wake early in the morning for work and it looked like the show was over for the night. I then removed all the plastic sheeting and newspapers and towels from the whelping box, and put down a fresh, clean blanket instead. I carefully transferred over all the pups (Vixen didn’t mind me handling them) and she then jumped in with them. I started cleaning up all the towels from the floor to make a huge pile of dirty laundry. It was as I was doing this that I noticed Vixen was starting to strain once more. I figured it was probably just some excess gunk that she was trying to expel from her uterus, so grabbed a clean tea towel and placed it so that she wouldn’t soil the clean blanket… and then Pup #5 entered the world! It was another boy but, unlike all the others, he came headfirst. Unfortunately I was low on ribbon colors by this point and so he got a grey ribbon to match his wolf-grey coloring. He was lighter in color than his wolf-grey brother, but also lacking the red of his red-grey brothers; he looked much more like his sister than the others.

After another quick clean up, all 5 pups were nursing happily and eventually they drifted off to sleep in a pile. So I filled up a hotwater bottle to keep them warm and placed it under a blanket near them, then took Vixen and Jasper out for a quick pee. It was very difficult for Vixen to leave her pups, she absolutely did not want to go out but, at the same time, she was clearly torn with her desire to go out to pee. I took her just outside and after a frantic pee and a super quick poop, she demanded to go back and, uncharacteristically, pulled the whole way, even jumping up to paw at the doors so that I would open them faster and whining the whole time. As soon as we were back in the Puppy Room she dashed over to check on the pups and, with obvious relief, was glad to see that they were still there and had not been disturbed. She soon went to sleep with the pups suckling contentedly. It was pretty amazing to consider that all these pups had fit inside her as they are all so large and that, less than 5 hours ago, they were all just bumps in her belly.

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sat May 15, 2010 2:26 am

OMG! Your blog here is exceptional...I feel like I am there too :D Your pics & info are just what the curious minds need............AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sat May 15, 2010 2:38 am

Wonderfully informative post. Makes the wait worth it.

Beautiful litter. Can't wait to see what they'll look like all grown up! :D

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Sat May 15, 2010 4:53 am

Thank you for sharing this amazing event. Vixen and her litter are beautiful :D
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Sindi
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sindi » Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 am

wow, amazing blog :) ... together with the great pictures (Jasper saying 'hello' *sigh*), it's like we all were there.. great job :)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat May 15, 2010 8:05 am

Great story, the pups are looking wonderful :D

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sat May 15, 2010 9:13 am

Fascinating to hear and see it all. Vixen looks really well and happy.
- Fiona -

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Sat May 15, 2010 10:37 am

Debby this blog is fantastic, you have a fantastic way with words and I could almost feel your excitement, panic and relief, I felt as if I was there with you, willing Vixey on!

What a beautiful litter and such a proud mum! Great job all round :D

Lots of love to you all, the world is a happier place with 5 more Tamaskans in it!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 am

What a beautiful result and what a story, it was like I was there to see it, so well did you describe everything. And Vixen looks very pleased with the result too!

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Those are some very big babies coming out of a little girl, they look great and mum looks very proud. Well done Vixen (and Debby) xxxxxx

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat May 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Lovely pictures especially the one of puppy with Jasper :D

JGR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JGR » Sun May 16, 2010 1:18 am

I'm glad to see that the birth went well and the pups are doing fine ^^
Lovely pictures and an interesting commentary too. :)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun May 16, 2010 10:56 am

How are the puppies and Vixen doing? Is Jasper already used to them? He looks so lovely in the photo with the pup... :D And do you keep one of the pups?

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Sun May 16, 2010 1:20 pm

great blog!
And I am melting away here by the looks of this wonderful family

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun May 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone! :D
Gaby wrote:How are the puppies and Vixen doing? Is Jasper already used to them? He looks so lovely in the photo with the pup... :D And do you keep one of the pups?
The pups are doing great. Vixen is a wonderful mum, a true natural... very loving and caring. Jasper is very gentle with the pups and also very curious. He just wants to see them and watch them but, unfortunately, Vixen doesn't like him getting close to them while she's nursing. Her protective instinct kicks in and she growls at him to back-off. She doesn't mind when we hold a pup to show him, but she doesn't like him coming near her with the pups in the whelping box... I think she feels vulnerable and worries for her pups, even though Jasper wouldn't do anything to hurt them. Anyway, we won't be keeping any of the pups from this litter... hopefully we'll move to a bigger place soon and then, when we have more space, we will probably keep a female pup from next year's litter.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun May 16, 2010 7:23 pm

This is natural, she may let him into the whelping box in a few weeks without any growling.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 pm

She needs her space now as she is a new mum so I would put Jasper in another room and let her be on her own with her new babies. He can always go back and see them in a few weeks time like Jen says. :D

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:16 am

Very adorable little pups. I loved reading through the blog how it all went. Can't wait to see more pictures! Congrats!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Gaby wrote:How are the puppies and Vixen doing? Is Jasper already used to them? He looks so lovely in the photo with the pup... :D And do you keep one of the pups?
Anyway, we won't be keeping any of the pups from this litter... hopefully we'll move to a bigger place soon and then, when we have more space, we will probably keep a female pup from next year's litter.
Do all the pups have a new home already? I hope for you that you can keep track of them en see them grow up. They already look so beautiful, I wonder how they will be fully grown. Maybe I missed it, but who is the father of the pups?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Gaby wrote:Do all the pups have a new home already? I hope for you that you can keep track of them en see them grow up.
So far 2 of the pups definitely have homes, possibly 3... I still have to discuss it with one of the new owners since they wanted 2 girls but not 2 boys; so we shall see! There are a few people who are interested right now BUT my main priority is that the pups all go to great homes, not just "first come, first served"! I want to make sure that it will be a good match and that the pups will have a good life (and that I can meet up every so often to see them!) There are a couple of people in America who are interested but I would prefer to have the pups stay in Europe so I can see them somewhat more regularly (and to meet the new owners in person!) but it all depends. ;)

Gaby wrote:They already look so beautiful, I wonder how they will be fully grown.
I have no doubt that the pups will look absolutely amazing as adults... very gorgeous! :D
Also, their temperament / character will be FANTASTIC!!! (especially around small animals)
Gaby wrote:Maybe I missed it, but who is the father of the pups?
Well, after traveling 16 hours by car (from Croatia to the Netherlands) to breed Vixen, we ended up arriving there several days too early. Even though we extended the trip as long as possible they simply weren't interested in each other at the time and several visits to the vet clinic / attempted AI did not help the situation. Basically the timing was off and the progesterone blood test confirmed that we'd have to stay at least another week, which simply was not possible. So we gave up and returned to Croatia without any luck (sometimes that's just how life goes).

Instead, we made arrangements to try again for Vixen's next heat in September however, about 1 week later, at the very end of Vixen's season, Jasper decided he had other plans. I woke up one morning to find the bedroom door open and them locked in a tie. The dogs were kept separate until then but it only took that one chance encounter, and she got pregnant. So Jasper is the sire of this litter. Fortunately Jasper's mother is from the Finnish bloodline and Vixen's mother is from the English bloodline so the only common link is Jackal, who is a wonderful handsome dog with a fantastic personality. Anyway, next year (after skipping Vixen's next season, in accordance with TDR rules) we will breed her with a different stud dog... and hope for better luck! And Jasper has now been castrated so it won't / can't happen again. Luckily he has a good hip score! :)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon May 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Your post is fantastic! Pups are beautiful and Vixen looks quite happy.
I love all of this and look forward to reading more. Great work!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:37 pm

fantastic pics and info congratulations :D

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Tue May 18, 2010 8:12 am

wicca1 wrote:fantastic pics and info congratulations :D
+1

great reading and highly informative to a novice, this is what makes a forum "a great forum"

the time you put into this write up is very much appreciated by everyone.

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Congratulations and well done! Pictures please?!

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 20, 2010 12:07 am

You should have a Vixen blog on your website :)
Blogging is so fun, I do it for our filmmaking business on two different sites--wish I had more time to make a Freyja blog. :lol:
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 am

Sylvaen wrote: Instead, we made arrangements to try again with Apache Horse for Vixen's next heat in September BUT about 1 week later, at the very end of Vixen's season, Jasper decided he had other plans.
Haha, so Jasper is the dad? Did you expect that? Well, even if is wasn't ment to be this way, the pups are really beautiful. And do you have some more pictures? ......Please? :mrgreen: