Puppies/Twins??

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Post Reply
User avatar
GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 am
Location: US

Puppies/Twins??

Post by GjenetCarro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

How are there many puppies born? Are they all faternal (multiple eggs) or identical (one that copied and split) or is there a mixture of both??? Getting mised answers online, so maybe I could have a professional's point of view??? ;) :D
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4799
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:47 pm

I would think that they are faternal since they are not identical when they are born or grown up. But this is just a guess from me since I don't know much at all about dog birthing.
Image

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Nino » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:48 pm

If it was the same egg (probably only in couples) they would be same sex and copies of each other..
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 am
Location: US

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by GjenetCarro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am

So identical is not possible at all???
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Nino » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 am

GjenetCarro wrote:So identical is not possible at all???
In theory it is..
but since one must assume that dogs are affected by their living conditions (as are humans but we dont have as much hair hehe) are probably rare to see if dogs are identical twins
and for a whole litter are all certainly not identical twins
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 am
Location: US

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by GjenetCarro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:26 am

Ok cool :) Thanks
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

User avatar
blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by blufawn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:53 am

We have had twins before, two pups born out of the same sac..... but only ever once, they were identical (as young pups)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
.............................................................
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

User avatar
GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 am
Location: US

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by GjenetCarro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:00 pm

blufawn wrote:We have had twins before, two pups born out of the same sac..... but only ever once, they were identical (as young pups)
WOW! Only once?! Thats pretty cool though. Im thinking I should do my senior project on something with dogs, maybe the Tamaskan origions or selective breeding?? I still got time but that would impress my teachers ;)
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 am

GjenetCarro wrote:
blufawn wrote:We have had twins before, two pups born out of the same sac..... but only ever once, they were identical (as young pups)
WOW! Only once?! Thats pretty cool though. Im thinking I should do my senior project on something with dogs, maybe the Tamaskan origions or selective breeding?? I still got time but that would impress my teachers ;)
As far as I can read identical twins (which are the ones we are talking about since all dogs get more than one egg in the uterus and therefore all dogs are actually fraternal twins) aren't hereditary - only fraternal twins are when they are in the females family - This is in humans ofcause and can be different in dogs, but I don't think so.

(my dad is a identical twin so I know a little about it, since I was hoping it might be hereditary)
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Nino wrote:(my dad is a identical twin so I know a little about it, since I was hoping it might be hereditary)
That's cool... my dad is also an identical twin! :)
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Nino wrote:(my dad is a identical twin so I know a little about it, since I was hoping it might be hereditary)
That's cool... my dad is also an identical twin! :)
cool.. does he and his brother live a half world apart too? :lol:
Dad in Denmark
Uncle in Canada :-)

- both just turned 50, looks like each other but I can see the diffence since they have had different living condition the last 25 years
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 am
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Tamaddict » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:48 pm

My mom is an identical twin. When I was little my Aunt used to say 'Im your mommy now! Your going to come home with me!' and try to trick me. It never worked lol.
-Michelle

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Puppies/Twins??

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Tamaddict wrote:My mom is an identical twin. When I was little my Aunt used to say 'Im your mommy now! Your going to come home with me!' and try to trick me. It never worked lol.
First time (I was old enough to notice) I met my uncle - seeing to fathers made me cry *gg* three years old :-D
>> Nino <<
Image

Post Reply