Stud dog

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Stud dog

Post by Booma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:54 am

I know I want a boy, but I don't think breeding would be for me. Can I offer my (future) dog as a stud to other breeders? (I he meets requirements of course)
Image Image

Rahne

Re: Stud dog

Post by Rahne » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 am

Ofcourse! That would be really appreciated, most breeders keep/get females themselfs so there aren't as many stud dogs available as there are breeding females. It would be really nice if there is a large, diverse selection of males that can be used for breeding ;)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:54 am

awesome. It would be great to build the breed up in Australia. And if there are some properly registered dogs there people won't be tempted to by ones that Aaron guy in Melbourne is planning to sell.
Is there anything special I would need to do to have a stud dog?
Image Image

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:12 am

Well you would need to get on a waiting list first, tell the breeder you want a breeding male. The breeder can then select a good quality male for you and make sure that it has both testicles dropped before it is send out. Also if there is a breeding female tamaskan in Australia by that time, the breeder could select a male from a certain combination that would make a suitable stud for the female already present.

Males are allowed to breed after they turn 1 year old. You would have to get him DNA profiled and his hips should be screened. DM testing is also recommended.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks a lot. I'm going to get on Lynns list, I'm not planning on a pup for over a year though.
Image Image

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Can I offer my (future) dog as a stud to other breeders? (I he meets requirements of course)
Absolutely! And that would be wonderful!! As Rahne says, it would really help the Tamaskan genepool and a selection of stud dogs all around the world means greater genetic variety, which is better for Tamaskan bloodlines and the future of the breed as a whole. Here is the list of registered stud dog owners (so far) - as you can see, most of them are not breeders themselves, just owners who offer the services of their stud dogs to TDR registered breeders: http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/breeders/studs.htm

Once all the health testing is complete, a stud dog can have quite a lucrative 'career' when you offer his 'services' in exchange for a stud fee - the breeder will usually (depending on your mutual arrangement / agreement) pay you the price of a puppy for each successful mating. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Just to add to that link for stud dogs... Diesel has had a testicle check so whoever does this site please correct and also please now remove Skye. Thankyou.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:26 am

I'm so excited to get a pup. Will anyone visit us in Australia? Haha
Image Image

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 am

Kyliedelonge wrote:I'm so excited to get a pup. Will anyone visit us in Australia? Haha
If I ever go to Australia and are near you - sure why not ;) :lol:
>> Nino <<