QuickSilver Litter

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: QuickSilver Litter

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Cute little babies :D

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 am

Adorable :)
Katurah

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 am

Cuties :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Ah, what a cute little puppies! :D How are mother and puppies doing?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 am

Gaby wrote:Ah, what a cute little puppies! :D How are mother and puppies doing?
Mother and pups are all doing well :D
So far all 10 are gaining weight and are looking good.

Last Tuesday I went to Andrija's house to babysit the pups while he was teaching classes (he is a mathematics professor).
While I was there I took some photos:

See more photos HERE!! :D

These pictures are almost a week old though - the pups have certainly grown a lot since then! :) :)
BTW: Andrija put colored tape on their tails to tell them apart... the pups now each have their own colored collar instead.

Anyway, I will see if Andrija can post some new photos soon! :mrgreen:
2 puppies (1 male and 1 female) had their rear-dewclaws removed on Friday at the vet clinic (with local anesthetic).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 am

Tail bands...how clever! Great photos but I bet now they are much bigger ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 am

Shocked to see tail bands. I know that breeders of certain breeds use bands on tails to dock them as it cuts off the blood supply
and the tail just falls off... hope these bands arnt on tight ;) would have thought they would have slid off if not on tight enough
to stop the blood supply with mum cleaning the puppies unlike if they had been around the neck.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Blustag wrote:Shocked to see tail bands. I know that breeders of certain breeds use bands on tails to dock them as it cuts off the blood supply
and the tail just falls off... hope these bands arnt on tight ;) would have thought they would have slid off if not on tight enough
to stop the blood supply with mum cleaning the puppies unlike if they had been around the neck.
I was also a bit shocked to see it because I know that if the bands are too tight it can restrict the blood circulation and result in a 'dead' tail that then drops off. I warned Andrija about it and luckily the bands weren't too tight on the day I saw them but I knew that if they stayed on for another day or so it would cause serious problems. The bands were made of colored sticky tape (like sellotape) so I removed them immediately that very same day. The colored tape was stuck to the fur, which I knew wouldn't be too comfortable for them as they moved around and grew, and I had to be very careful when I peeled off the tape because the fur was stuck to the sticky side, which would be painful to remove.

I explained the situation to Andrija and apparently his next-door neighbor (a young 15-16 year old girl) had come up with the idea (which seemed like a good solution for them to tell the pups apart) but they were not aware of the risks. This is why it's a good thing for first-time breeders to have a mentor to guide them! Anyway, once I removed all the sticky tapes around their tails, I weighed the puppies and made colored identity collars for them - Andrija has bought them all proper puppy rogz collars but they are still a little bit too big for the puppies, so he is waiting a few more days until it is safe for the pups to wear them (if the collars are too loose a pup could get a foot stuck through it).

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm

In all my years of breeding I have never used collars or such like. There are always ways to identify such as white/black tip on tail.
Certain markings on head/paws/white socks the list is endless and this is much safer as collars can be caught up in mums teeth etc etc.
Best to be safe than 'very' sorry when something happens.

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:54 pm

The Quicksilver litter looks great! Thank goodness you were around to help out Debby. I've heard some breeders separate their pups by painting a toenail using a different colour for each - we have dog nail polish at the salon but I've never gotten a chance to use it, thank god - what a pain that would be!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Blustag wrote:In all my years of breeding I have never used collars or such like. There are always ways to identify such as white/black tip on tail.
Certain markings on head/paws/white socks the list is endless and this is much safer as collars can be caught up in mums teeth etc etc.
Best to be safe than 'very' sorry when something happens.
True... unfortunately all of these pups are pretty much identical - none have white markings on the head. Though some have white paws / socks, the majority are indistinguishable at this point.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Getting the pup used to the collar almost from birth might also help with irritation later on..

From the day I got Sølve she will frequently scratch the place where the collar sits, it has become less over time but she still does it most days.. if the collar is removed she stops scratching (never removed it as a result of her scratching so it's not because she knows I will remove it if she scratches)..
It's obviously annoys her to wear the collar..
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:04 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Blustag wrote:Shocked to see tail bands. I know that breeders of certain breeds use bands on tails to dock them as it cuts off the blood supply
I was also a bit shocked to see it because I know that if the bands are too tight it can restrict the blood circulation and result in a 'dead' tail that then drops off. I warned Andrija about it and luckily the bands weren't too tight on the day I saw them but I knew that if they stayed on for another day or so it would cause serious problems. The bands were made of colored sticky tape (like sellotape) so I removed them immediately that very same day. The colored tape was stuck to the fur, which I knew wouldn't be too comfortable for them as they moved around and grew, and I had to be very careful when I peeled off the tape because the fur was stuck to the sticky side, which would be painful to remove.

I explained the situation to Andrija and apparently his next-door neighbor (a young 15-16 year old girl) had come up with the idea (which seemed like a good solution for them to tell the pups apart) but they were not aware of the risks. This is why it's a good thing for first-time breeders to have a mentor to guide them! Anyway, once I removed all the sticky tapes around their tails, I weighed the puppies and made colored identity collars for them - Andrija has bought them all proper puppy rogz collars but they are still a little bit too big for the puppies, so he is waiting a few more days until it is safe for the pups to wear them (if the collars are too loose a pup could get a foot stuck through it).
Yeah I agree with you both, I personally lean against this practice of having the bands tied to the tails but I'm relief that Debby was able to catch it in time and fix it. I look forward to seeing the proper collars on them. ;) Did you also explain the risk to the neighbour girl about this idea, Debby? When I first saw that picture I too was like :o omigod I can't believe this! It's a good thing that you were there to point Andrija in the right direction. :)

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 am

I actually thought the tail bands were clever... As long as they aren't too tight. Something like masking tape I think would work. It's not very sticky so it wouldn't hurt to take it off.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:10 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:Did you also explain the risk to the neighbour girl about this idea, Debby? When I first saw that picture I too was like :o omigod I can't believe this! It's a good thing that you were there to point Andrija in the right direction. :)
Unfortunately she does not speak English and she got a bit upset with me because she didn't understand the problem (my Croatian + charades was not sufficient enough) - I think Andrija was able to explain it to her later that evening though.
Valravn wrote:I actually thought the tail bands were clever... As long as they aren't too tight. Something like masking tape I think would work. It's not very sticky so it wouldn't hurt to take it off.
It wasn't masking tape though, it was sticky colored sellotape that they had at hand.

Anyway, it's no big deal though... I took them off that same day and switched them to the new collars.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 am

Oh I see, still, I'm glad you caught all that in time.

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:50 am

Everyone is looking beautiful can't wait for another update. Quick question, is the breeder apart of the forum? And if not will he be joining? :)
Katurah

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 am

Ciaobella wrote:Quick question, is the breeder apart of the forum? And if not will he be joining? :)
Yes, his username is QuickSilver and he already posted earlier in this thread. ;)

QuickSilver
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by QuickSilver » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Ciaobella wrote:Everyone is looking beautiful can't wait for another update. Quick question, is the breeder apart of the forum? And if not will he be joining? :)

Yes, I joined already, I am alive, although barely, taking care of puppies can wear you down, and I entered in 3rd week now of this show. I took about 100 pictures last several days by my mobile phone, and it turned out that they are of to poor a quality to be displayed either on forum or on my web page :x

Presently, I am struggling to take pictures with some more advanced piece of technology, and to post them.
But then I encounterd the problem how to manage HQ pictures since they an take up more memory then I expected.
You can probably guess that I am not computer wizard, but these kind of nonsense with not being able to attach pictures in the real time should belong to midle ages. Or not? :?

Anyway, updates will be available to the extent possible... Rgds, Andrija

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm

QuickSilver wrote: Yes, I joined already, I am alive, although barely, taking care of puppies can wear you down, and I entered in 3rd week now of this show. I took about 100 pictures last several days by my mobile phone, and it turned out that they are of to poor a quality to be displayed either on forum or on my web page :x

Presently, I am struggling to take pictures with some more advanced piece of technology, and to post them.
But then I encounterd the problem how to manage HQ pictures since they an take up more memory then I expected.
You can probably guess that I am not computer wizard, but these kind of nonsense with not being able to attach pictures in the real time should belong to midle ages. Or not? :?

Anyway, updates will be available to the extent possible... Rgds, Andrija
That's understandable Andrija. ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Andrija just sent me some new photos of the pups - now aged 17 days old! :D

Vega with her puppies:

The puppies have just opened their eyes over this past weekend...

Female #1:

Female #2:

Female #3:

Female #4:

Female #5:

Male #1:

Male #2:

Male #3:

Male #4:

Male #5:

There are still 2 females and 2 males available, the rest are all reserved. :)

We haven't yet allocated which pup will go to which new owner, and we probably won't do that until the puppies are at least 6-7 weeks old, so as to properly evaluate each puppy to see which ones would be best suited to pet homes and which ones are of breeding quality. ;)

lexje71
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by lexje71 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 pm

so cute :D

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Wow, what are they growing quickly!!! :D So nice to see them with their eyes open too. I'm very curious how they will look when they are older!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Hope they take after their mother as she is lovely ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm

So adorable!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Poor vega shes swamped with puppies. Haha
Image Image

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:06 am

Vaga is a happy looking mother. The pups are very similar to each other, they are cute. Must keep repeating, I do not want a puppy .......

Rhokk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Rhokk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:09 am

So cute!

Unrelated question:

How does a mother support more pups than she has teats? I've only dealt with smaller litters (4-5 pups). >.>

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 am

They are all so cute!
Katurah

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 am

Rhokk wrote:Unrelated question:

How does a mother support more pups than she has teats? I've only dealt with smaller litters (4-5 pups). >.>
Andrija has been bottle-feeding the puppies (on rotation) every few hours since they were born... I assisted while he was teaching classes and he also had his father helping out as well as a teenage girl who lives next-door (they all took turns to bottle-feed the pups throughout the day and night over the past 2 weeks). The pups have all been getting plenty of handling and the weaker ones got extra attention right from the very beginning, which is why they are now all so big and healthy. :)

Anyway, I think Vega has 10 teats because, from what I saw, all the pups could attach at the same time... but in the beginning some of the teats were very small and not producing much milk; it should be easier to count them now. ;)

Rhokk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Rhokk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 am

Ah, I see! Still, all the more power to mom! :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

Such a great looking litter..
I hope they end somewhat in between as I like some of the features that Sampo have and some of the ones Vega have :)
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Sylvaen wrote: Anyway, I think Vega has 10 teats because, from what I saw, all the pups could attach at the same time... but in the beginning some of the teats were very small and not producing much milk; it should be easier to count them now. ;)
10? Wow, now I know that the numbers vary between different dams, but I thought MOST females have at least 8. Anyways, it's good to see that there are four people caring for this litter and you must be very proud of Vega for making it this far :P

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri May 04, 2012 5:58 pm

The pups are 5 weeks old today!

Here are some new photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 7480119922

enjoy! :D

PS: there are still a few pups available if anyone is interested - Andrija was only counting on 4 pups, not 10 (lol) so there are now some extras needing homes.
I think 3 or 4 males and 1 or 2 females are still available. :)

Andrija would prefer for most of the puppies to go to homes in Western Europe (particularly the Netherlands and Germany) where they will have a good quality of life. At this point in time he is not shipping puppies to the USA or Canada.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Andrija would prefer for most of the puppies to go to homes in Western Europe (particularly the Netherlands and Germany) where they will have a good quality of life. At this point in time he is not shipping puppies to the USA or Canada.
Understandable, it's his first litter anyway so I think it's better to be kind to him ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Now that the pups are over 1 year old, here is an update of the Quicksilver Litter. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Really cool :)

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm

They're all so beautiful! :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 am

Haha, I'd like to make a poster like this in the future when I have my first litter.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 am

What a good looking litter!