Neutering Discussion (UK Legislation)

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Neutering Discussion (UK Legislation)

Post by nivenj » Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 am

As the topic states, this question is really aimed at the UK guys and gals and UK law as it relates to the Animal Welfare Act of 2006. However obviously everyone is welcome to chip in, but please keep in mind the essense of the question :D

So my question is:-

The Animal Welfare Act of 2006 (AWA) states, amongst other things, that a dog owner must ensure the dogs needs are met in terms of "its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns".

IMHO thats a bit of an open statement as it doesnt go on to describe what "normal behavior patterns" are. However, it does raise a question in my mind. If we as owners have our dogs neutered early during their sexual development such that they do not mark their territory, then are we not in violation of this part of the act as marking territory, to me, is "normal behaviour".

This isnt really a question on "what age?", to get them done, as i know there will be differing views here, but its more in terms of how it pertains to the law.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Neutering Discussion (UK Legislation)

Post by Nino » Sat May 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Well looking at it that way you really couldn't neuter at all and thay should be allowed to breed because that's natural behaviour right?
>> Nino <<

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Yeah I agree, and I suppose thats my point. Its such a badly worded law. I doubt they would/could ever try to prosecute someone on that basis, but I think, by the letter of the law, they could :-S
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue May 22, 2012 11:58 am

I think it's more to do with not keeping a dog locked in a cage or room all it's life with no freedom to play. If it ever gets interpreted as don't neuter the dogs homes will be in trouble :roll: