Frozen sperm (Jack Daniels vom Münsterland)

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Frozen sperm (Jack Daniels vom Münsterland)

Post by Vroni » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:14 am

Because I often think about getting a puppy from my Jack one day, but I am not able to handle two dogs of that big size alone, I got the idea to froze sperm of him. The American Wolfdog Tatanka of my best friend were in heat and Jack really went crazy! It was the perfect time to drive to a special vet with both of them and getting sperm from Jack. The quality was very good and now I have frozen sperm stored for more than 2 females. :D It is possible now to get a puppy from my beloved Jack whenever I want (also in 10 years or later) and whatever will happen to him. ♥

What do you think about that?
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Frozen sperm (Jack Daniels vom Münsterland)

Post by Karen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

Good for you! Love Jack! :D
We have sperm frozen of Magu. Was rather easy to gather.

If I would ever want another tamaskan ( for now, we have enough dogs :roll: ) I would love a Kal-le or Jack clone... haha! Character and appearance wise they are my alltime favorite tamaskan males

For a lot of pedigree stud, it is not allowed by breedingrules to use AI unless the stud has proven himself thru natural ways.
How is this in the tamaskan?

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am

I will remember that Karen! :)
We only had to find the right female one day and maybe we will both get a puppy from that litter. :lol:
It would be so nice to know one other Jack-Baby with a very good owner. ;)
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:21 pm

great!
want to save some sperm from Ravi too :D

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Vroni wrote:I will remember that Karen! :)
We only had to find the right female one day and maybe we will both get a puppy from that litter. :lol:
It would be so nice to know one other Jack-Baby with a very good owner. ;)
:oops: :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:39 pm

It is a good idea to see what type of puppies he produces before using frozen sperm. Some studs are "good sports" meaning they cannot stamp their traits on their puppies. A lot of us here in the US are planning on freezing sperm once our males have had a few litters and we see how the pups turn out. So far, Darwin has done a pretty good job and has good health testing so I may consider it in the future. He certainly has faults, as does any dog, but the bitch we bred him to corrected those faults and Darwin produces really good shoulders in 90% of his pups. So, yay!

And yes, bravo to freezing sperm. Perhaps that, coupled with MyDogDNA on the same dog will be very invaluable years and years from now. Dr. Sondel has successfully produced large litters from sperm samples frozen in the 1960s. It's something that could save the breed down the road! You never know :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:12 pm

This is great news, well done for taking the initiative! Sadly all my girls are very closely related to Jackal so I wouldn't personally be able to use Jack in my own bloodlines BUT I am sure there are many Tamaskan breeders worldwide who would be interested. I am particularly looking forward to international AI shipments (such as using distantly-related / outcross USA bloodlines) but first I would like to try AI within the EU... such as, Magu ;) The only catch is that our vet can only use fresh or chilled sperm (not frozen) as they do not do surgical insemination.

Anyway, it is always a good idea to let a male have a couple of natural matings first (before using the frozen sperm) just to be sure that he can mate naturally (to confirm that there are no complications that could make a natural mating impossible... such as, for instance, physiological faults of the penis / sheath, which could be genetically inherited). In addition, as Tracy said, it is good to see how the offspring turn out, before relying on frozen sperm. Personally, I think a natural mating (if possible) is always best but frozen sperm makes posthumous reproduction possible, which could be invaluable many years down the line. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.