Blustag of USA

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Audreyestep
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Blustag of USA

Post by Audreyestep » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Hello,

I'm new here to the forum and researching breeders in the USA. I realize there is blustag in the UK but I would like outside opinions or info on the quality of Tams being produced from blustag in NC. Since they are very close to me I plan to go check them out in person. I have chatted back and forth with kevin on his website and he has been responsive to my questions. Could anyone help me out here on where to go and where to stay away. I already know about right puppy guy in nc. I'll run far away from him. Thanks for the support.!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Blustag of USA

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Blustag in USA is the one and the same guy as RightPuppy Kennel! They also go by Yadkin Wolf Den. They are a large scale puppy mill, please be warned to stay away from them as they are not selling Tamaskan dogs. Ratliff, a backyard breeder, also works with them. They sell mixed breed dogs that you can find cheaper at shelters. Some of their dogs might look the same as Tamaskans, but their health and temperaments can not be guarranteed.

Audreyestep
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Audreyestep » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Ahh....now its all coming together. Thank you so much! Im wondering though why he referred me to Tarheel. I asked him if he OFA'd his dogs he said some but not all. And could provide me with me the results if I wanted them. I also asked about DM he said no Tam's have been recorded with having it. I also asked if there were any other health related issues that I'm not aware of to please educate me and he said he said there were no other. One last thing on this website of his it said to stay away from the ELizabeth City breeder.. Tarheel is located in Elizabeth City.....but yet he referred me to them and said they test all their dogs...What is up with that?

So, I ask you this. Is Tarheel a reputable breeder? Their website is down someone purchased the domain name as I read in another post. I don't have facebook so I'm kinda at a lose until they buy another domain name. Any advice?

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Audreyestep wrote:I also asked about DM he said no Tam's have been recorded with having it. I also asked if there were any other health related issues that I'm not aware of to please educate me and he said he said there were no other.
I have a female Tamaskan that tested 'at risk' for DM, see OFA: http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1425180#animal
There's also cases of Epilepsy, Addison's & Hip Dysplasia in the breed. There's not much you can do about Epilepsy and Addison's unfortunately as no DNA test exists, but good breeders will try to prevent it by not crossing certain bloodlines that have it ;)
All breeding dogs SHOULD be tested for Hip Dysplasia and DM.
Audreyestep wrote:So, I ask you this. Is Tarheel a reputable breeder? Their website is down someone purchased the domain name as I read in another post. I don't have facebook so I'm kinda at a lose until they buy another domain name. Any advice?
Tarheel is registered with the Tamaskan Dog Register and does the minimum required health testing (DM, hips and DNA) on their breeding dogs. They are a small 'hobby' breeder who does proper socialization and care etc. so you should be ok buying a pup from them.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Please be advised that the domain Tarheel Tamaskan in no longer owned by John and Christine Bannow. It was also learned that Kevin bought that domain.

Audreyestep
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Audreyestep » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Thank you Wolfsbane and Eventide. Yes, I'm sure Kevin did purchase the DM too as yet to fool the public. Well, at least now I know who owns Tarheel (the Bannow's) and when the time is right I will contact them.

Wolfsbane, thanks for the health info. Im all too knowledgeable about epilepsy as I owned a Dobe with it. That was the longest and most expensive 6 years of my life so far! Never do I want to own another dog with epilepsy. like you said you cant test for it but you sure as heck should NOT breed a dog with it. I tried pulling up the TDR so I could see the list of breeders but the page wouldn't load. I'm in VA and looking for a breeder within driving distance. I see you are in MD, do you breed as well?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Here is the list of registered breeders in the United States:
http://www.tamaskan-dog.org/breeding/br ... merica.php
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 am

Audreyestep wrote:I'm in VA and looking for a breeder within driving distance. I see you are in MD, do you breed as well?
Eventide is in MD, she has a studdog (so not a breeder herself). I'm in the Netherlands, planned to breed... but my dog decided otherwise lol. You can also consider import from Europe though, we have some good breeders here :)
The puppyprice in the Netherlands is much lower then in US (and Eastern Europe), we also have good airports, import won't be much more expensive. Depending on where you live in US it might actually be cheaper IF a regular flight is arranged and puppy is flown with owner/breeder, then getting one from the US. Most of our breeders also do extra health testing besides the minimum required (like eye testing, elbows, Dwarfism and MyDogDNA).

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:11 pm

I can recommend Tarheel. We obtained our first breeding bitch from them and we love her very much. We also breed but what is your timeline? We have a breeding planned next month, and then a second one either this fall or next spring. Either way, you are welcome to come and visit if you want to meet some Tamaskan Dogs. :) Like Tarheel, we are a small operation and don't have "kennels" like large scale breeders. Our dogs live in our house and have a fenced in yard to play in. We have four dogs total: three Tamaskans and one lab x Aussie mix.
Good luck in your search!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Audreyestep
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Audreyestep » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for posting Hawthorne. I was one your website yesterday. Nice site btw. You are actually closer to me than tarheel. I'm in the northern Shenandoah valley, VA. Prob about a three hour drive to you. I have fam in the Beavertown area. Anyway , yes I would love to take some time and meet your beauties! I'm in no rush. So your breedings in the later future would be more appealing. I myself breed train and develop Malinois for law enforcement. I'm a small time scale as well. I love training scent detection and love tracking with my dogs. I'm sure tamaskans excel at tracking as well. I'll be in touch with you when I have some free time to make the drive. Thanks for reaching out to me.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 pm

Wolfsbane wrote: The puppyprice in the Netherlands is much lower then in US (and Eastern Europe), we also have good airports, import won't be much more expensive. Depending on where you live in US it might actually be cheaper IF a regular flight is arranged and puppy is flown with owner/breeder, then getting one from the US. Most of our breeders also do extra health testing besides the minimum required (like eye testing, elbows, Dwarfism and MyDogDNA).

What is Netherlands charging for puppies? I am looking at importing again from Europe hopefully this year, the price for a TDR Registered puppy plus plane ticket will be 3500 USD... would be more expensive if I flew to pick up puppy about 4,000USD . Where if I got from US Breeder it would be in area of 2500 USD (flight included). Genetically if people want to breed in USA I suggest importing or finding a litter that is and outcross to a line that is not well represented but I do not think importing a puppy will be cheeper unless Netherlands is charging only 800 Euro a puppy may break even for me at least and then still they are not a registered tamaskan.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 am

Wolfsbane wrote:The puppyprice in the Netherlands is much lower then in US (and Eastern Europe), we also have good airports, import won't be much more expensive. Depending on where you live in US it might actually be cheaper IF a regular flight is arranged and puppy is flown with owner/breeder, then getting one from the US.
Unfortunately that's not exactly true. Someone in the UK is getting a pup from a current Dutch litter, which (in total) is costing her the SAME price as it cost someone in CANADA (in total) to get a pup from my recent litter... o.O (and that person had to pay EXTRA for pup's vaccinations, DNA profiling, etc....)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 am

You know, none of us should be acting this way. If someone gets a pup from overseas, great. If someone gets a pup from John & Tina, fantastic. Please, let's stop arguing with one another. Although we might be competitors it is unprofessional to be saying "my dogs are better because..." Let's rise to the occasion and be better breeders than our predecessors.
Thanks.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:21 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Wolfsbane wrote:The puppyprice in the Netherlands is much lower then in US (and Eastern Europe), we also have good airports, import won't be much more expensive. Depending on where you live in US it might actually be cheaper IF a regular flight is arranged and puppy is flown with owner/breeder, then getting one from the US.
Unfortunately that's not exactly true. Someone in the UK is getting a pup from a current Dutch litter, which (in total) is costing her the SAME price as it cost someone in CANADA (in total) to get a pup from my recent litter... o.O (and that person had to pay EXTRA for pup's vaccinations, DNA profiling, etc....)
Then I would like to know from Terri how much because as all members of the NTC we agreed that all breeders would use the pup price of 1000 euro ( that is without shipping) so the extra rabies vaccination etc should be in) For that price yes I can understand that DNA profiling must be paid extra but what are the rest of the etc Terri?

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:16 am

850 - 1000 euros is the pupprice. I said it MIGHT be cheaper depending on where you live in US, the flight you book etc. And I'm not arguing... just presenting the option of importing as most people don't even consider it because they think it's too expensive.

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:52 am

Indeed you have to look how you import the pup because that really can cost you OR save you some if you really look good and plan etc and go alone if you come over to get the pup ;)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 pm

And I'll put in a plug for the domestic breeders. If you're lucky enough, you'll find people like Hawthorne. What they did to prepare both the puppy and the prospective owner was beyond anything I could have asked for! Did they breed a perfect dog? Maybe. But they did breed the perfect dog for me.

And I know Eventide's Max, who would also be a terrific father for any litter!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm still deciding on if I will import my female in 2 years, or drive to the USA. I got Wylie from California (3 hour flight, but he flew across the country and back so it was more like 10 hours for the poor guy), and I have no regrets about that. He's a great dog, and it was much easier to get ahold of Alice with the timezones being so similar.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:54 pm

this is so frustrating and makes the breed look that much more immature in the eyes of others :cry: There are some breeders who are not with the TDR who breed ethically and add to the breed and if anybody wants to know who those breeders are ask here , if not please consult the registered TDR breeder list.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:39 pm

balto13 wrote:this is so frustrating and makes the breed look that much more immature in the eyes of others :cry: There are some breeders who are not with the TDR who breed ethically and add to the breed and if anybody wants to know who those breeders are ask here , if not please consult the registered TDR breeder list.
I agree with this. Breeders should work together, not compete with each other. No one should be arguing, especially about who is cheaper. It is not the price of a pup that should make a difference, but how far the breeder goes in doing health tests, raising litters, and their relationships with the new adopters.

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:
balto13 wrote:this is so frustrating and makes the breed look that much more immature in the eyes of others :cry: There are some breeders who are not with the TDR who breed ethically and add to the breed and if anybody wants to know who those breeders are ask here , if not please consult the registered TDR breeder list.
I agree with this. Breeders should work together, not compete with each other. No one should be arguing, especially about who is cheaper. It is not the price of a pup that should make a difference, but how far the breeder goes in doing health tests, raising litters, and their relationships with the new adopters.
Indeed :)

WHile this didn't started out as arguing about who is cheaper or not ( but maybe because some didn't use the right words or some just couldn't read past it because to understand a written word is always harder then a live word ;) ). Just an option that here are also dogs so that all have the best opportunity to search for the best line for their ideas and dogs ;) To let people know that they can look everywhere as long as those breeders do as you say is working together also ;)

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Miran wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:
Indeed :)

WHile this didn't started out as arguing about who is cheaper or not ( but maybe because some didn't use the right words or some just couldn't read past it because to understand a written word is always harder then a live word ;) ). Just an option that here are also dogs so that all have the best opportunity to search for the best line for their ideas and dogs ;) To let people know that they can look everywhere as long as those breeders do as you say is working together also ;)

I completely understand that is not how it started :) Unfortunately, that is what it turned into and took away from a really good opportunity for people to learn about their options for ethical breeding. I hope in the future it should be okay for people to know it *could* be cheaper to import and that it is a possibility for them to get pups from The Netherlands or Germany and it not turn into an argument. If it is more affordable for a person to ship get a dog from Hawthorne, or Tarheel, or Munsterland (as an example) AND one of these people have dogs who could produce pups best suited for the person than let's let it be known, though I don't want that to be a priority I can understand why a person might hesitate. Example, in AUS where it could cost a puppy owner up to 10K for a dog, would it be unfair for them to look for a country that it would be more affordable? no, if that was their main objective it might be an issue. Though I do not think that is what was trying to be said when importing costs was brought up ;)

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 pm

indeed. people should not look for dog because maybe it can be cheaper.
Always look for those from the ethical breeders who's offspring will be the best for your gene pool, health compatibility etc etc. No matter if they are cheaper or even more expensive. Hell I choose in combi with my male 3 years ago for the best combi in that and it was more expensive for me that way and would do it exact the same again :)