Are we over-breeding?

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Are we over-breeding?

Post by Tiantai » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 am

I have looked around the forum a month ago trying to find any topics discussing the situation about the number of pups that were still awaiting a proper home of which Rahne had kindly brought up on facebook a month ago but I couldn't find any posts about it so I thought I'd created this topic partially out of personal concerns and even if some of the issues have already been resolved I am still posting it here hoping to at least help cement this awareness on the forum so that other countries that may establish a Tamaskan club or are forming one right now and in the future can work to avoid experiencing similar cases as the ones below.

This is a copy of Rahne's public post on the Debate group which I was wondering if anyone has continued to follow up on the pups.
It seems that lately more and more breeders are having trouble selling their pups... not all but right now there are 3 breeders who still have pups for sale. In Bulgaria: 4/5 puppies, 6 months old. In Sweden 4 puppies, 4 months old, and in the UK: 7 puppies, 11 weeks old. Do you think that maybe there is too much breeding going on at the moment?

Some statistics:
In 2010 = 5 litters born (outside of the Blues and Alba)
In 2011 = 1 litter born (outside of the Blues and Alba)
In 2012 = 6 litters born (outside of the Blues and Alba)
In 2013 = 11 litters born (outside of the Blues and Alba)
In 2014, first half = 10 litters born (outside of the Blues and Alba)
Allison did brought this up back in 2012. Clearly there have been longer waiting pups outside the Blu breeders and RPK.

Fortunately, Canada has yet to experience this problem because we only have two breeders at the moment but I really hope that we don't end up with this chaotic supply of long-waiting pups when we do have more breeders here. I'd be furious for sure but I also understand that we can't really control how many pups a dam may naturally produce within that one litter. Of course, this does not mean a breeder can't refrain from allowing an untimely mating (especially one that may had happened while the owners were not at home) from taking place plus I am fully aware that accidents do happen and have happened at times even with reputable breeders.

While I don't know any good solutions for the situations happening over the pond (if some of the problems are still ongoing), I do think perhaps slowing down a little bit on the breedings in the future whenever possible may be a good preventative measure in order to mitigate any of these crisis in the future should they occur.

Whoo, glad I finally let out that frustration after holding it for too long.

Any strategies?

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Are we over-breeding?

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Having homes for pups is the responsibility of the breeder. My mentors have told me over and over you MUST have homes lined up BEFORE you do a breeding. If you don't have the homes, then don't do the breeding!!!

The US is not in this situation, even with our puppy mills in place. I have always had long lists of people wanting pups and haven't had a problem finding good quality homes.

The other issue is the paring at hand. Perhaps the pairing a breeder has planned is of no use to others. Besides having homes lined up, the main reason for doing any dog breeding is to improve upon what you have and move the breed forward. If the breeding you have planned isn't doing this, and no pups are going to be used to further the line then there, again, is no point in doing the breeding!!!

I do have a sense of community with all of my fellow Tamaskan breeders but there needs to be more effort and forethought made into all of these things if we are failing to sell pups. We all face unique challenges and we must find ways to combat them. For example, I constantly hear from people who question my prices. Or who are impatient with the long waiting list. People who are either looking for a bargain or are too impatient to wait for a quality puppy rather than the cheaper alternative from a puppy mill don't deserve a pup from me. Of course I don't come out and say it that way but I try and make people realize that there's something very wrong with a "buy now" button, and going against the breed's mission by adding wolf x dog crosses, etc, etc….

Our friends in the UK are up against even more difficult competition. But it takes time and effort to get the word out there about your pups. I do feel lucky that both my husband and I can take decent photographs. And that I have the time to do upkeep on a Facebook page and a website. Those things should be done at minimum to allow yourself to be seen. Additonally, I have shown my dogs too. That does mean something in the pure bred dog world! Believe me, the concept was quite foreign when we started out but I do think this contributes to success. As does allowing visitors to meet my dogs. It seems we get people every month at our house just to stop by and meet our Tamaskan.

I do point people in the direction of other breeders when I don't have pups available. I even point them in the direction of particular breeders who have pups at this moment. But mostly, people don't want to import--the idea in and of itself is to stressful for them.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Are we over-breeding?

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 pm

I pretty much agree with everything Tracy wrote :)
Hawthorne wrote:The other issue is the paring at hand. Perhaps the pairing a breeder has planned is of no use to others. Besides having homes lined up, the main reason for doing any dog breeding is to improve upon what you have and move the breed forward. If the breeding you have planned isn't doing this, and no pups are going to be used to further the line then there, again, is no point in doing the breeding!!!
Well said! I try to make interesting, fresh combinations that are exciting and useful... not the same old combinations, over and over. For that reason, we will never repeat a mating if the first litter was large (8+ puppies) even if it produced excellent results (after all, this should be the aim of every combination). Furthermore, from each litter we are attempting to produce future breeding dogs for the next generation (with particular future combinations and/or specific purposes in mind)... not 'just' pets. ;)

I also thought this article was very interesting: http://rufflyspeaking.net/were-breeders ... -breeding/
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.