Better late than never huh?

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Better late than never huh?

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 am

hi, sorry i'm a bit late :oops:

Er... yep, i'm Terri (a girl) Holt from East Yorkshire and i own Sam (or Sam own's me to be more accurate :lol: ) who i got off Pete (i will be forever greatfull to him for letting me take one of his pups, i was expecting a longer wait).
Sam is my first puppy, i think we are getting on just fine despite that :D .
my previous dog was a rescue GSD who suffered greatly from hip dysplasia. i had no background as to where she came from or who her mum and dad were there for i had no clue as to if her parents had all the right tests done. which is the not so long story of how i came to find blufawn, lynn then pete...
i wanted to buy a pup off a breeder so that A) i get more years out of my new best friend (i hate goodbye's) and B) i know that he has been looked after correctly in his first 8 weeks (and more importantly there is NO wolf in him, those need a licence and i don't think my cats would be that safe).

ok, i won't make this any longer than it has to be (i could go on forever... but not that much of it would make any sense (and i rant a lot)), so there is me... Hi :mrgreen: :mrgreen: <--- i like that one :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Better late than never huh?

Post by Misaya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Terri. Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your GSD and his hip dysplasia, it is an awful thing, but I hope Sam will bring you years of happiness :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Welcome Terri :D

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Welcome to the Forum!! :D

muensterland
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by muensterland » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Welcome to the Forum!! :)
best wishes from Kirsten and Karsten
http://www.tamaskan-vom-muensterland.de

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Welcome Terri :)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Welcome! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Hello & welcome to the forum :D

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Welcome :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 pm

thank's for the welcomes :P
Misaya wrote:Hi Terri. Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your GSD and his hip dysplasia, it is an awful thing, but I hope Sam will bring you years of happiness :)

thank you and i'm sure he will, he's already given me 3 week's of fun and happiness. i didn't like sleep anyway :lol:

speaking of 3 week's, does anyone know if should he still be nipping? it really hurts :lol: . i say "no!" (with a traditional finger wag) loud and firm, he shouts back and bites the aforementioned finger :( it is kinda cute they way he yips back at me :)

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Well I'm sure people will chip in with various training methods to stop the nipping but it might be worth looking at what you are feeding him. Ayasca was really bad for biting as a puppy no matter what we tried and he was very hyper. I noticed he was worse after eating and changed him to James Wellbeloved which is hyper allergenic. We noticed quite a marked change in his behaviour for the better. After that we changed him to a raw meaty bones diet which he has been on ever since.

Apologies to Debby for posting diet stuff in the intros :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Odin is JUST as bad...my poor sister has bandages all over her hands as hes always growling and snapping at our hands..faces (thank GOD for glasses or else he would have gotten my eye on a few occasions)....but then decides to turn sweet and curl up into our laps...he really is something. We've been trying the whole if he snips at you to right away get up and let out a painful sound and walk away and ignore him....showing him that he'll have no playtime if he's going to continue to play ruff. This works for play time...but when he's seriously biting us to get us to leave him alone or prevent us from getting his collar on...I have no words of wisdom there because the yelping and walking away doesnt help since thats exactly what he wants on that occasion lol. Needless to say my hand is currently in pain from his most recent "attack lol" yet I still cant wait to get home and play with him some more. However Pete did mention that Odin was the dominant alpha from the litter so I'm sure you aren't getting it as bad as we are lol goodluck!
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:15 pm

hehe all puppies go through that stage, it's particularly bad around 3-4 months old (when they are teething) but if you give them lots of chew toys and encourage them to bite those instead, they'll soon learn that hands are off-limits and toys are ok.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello Terri, welcome to the forum :)

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 am

Welcome
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 am

Misaya wrote:Well I'm sure people will chip in with various training methods to stop the nipping but it might be worth looking at what you are feeding him. Ayasca was really bad for biting as a puppy no matter what we tried and he was very hyper. I noticed he was worse after eating and changed him to James Wellbeloved which is hyper allergenic. We noticed quite a marked change in his behaviour for the better. After that we changed him to a raw meaty bones diet which he has been on ever since.

Apologies to Debby for posting diet stuff in the intros :)
thanks, i'll keep that in mind if he's still at it in a few month :D
jyotin wrote:Odin is JUST as bad...my poor sister has bandages all over her hands as hes always growling and snapping at our hands..faces (thank GOD for glasses or else he would have gotten my eye on a few occasions)....but then decides to turn sweet and curl up into our laps...he really is something. We've been trying the whole if he snips at you to right away get up and let out a painful sound and walk away and ignore him....showing him that he'll have no playtime if he's going to continue to play ruff. This works for play time...but when he's seriously biting us to get us to leave him alone or prevent us from getting his collar on...I have no words of wisdom there because the yelping and walking away doesnt help since thats exactly what he wants on that occasion lol. Needless to say my hand is currently in pain from his most recent "attack lol" yet I still cant wait to get home and play with him some more. However Pete did mention that Odin was the dominant alpha from the litter so I'm sure you aren't getting it as bad as we are lol goodluck!
yeah, i tried the painful sound and walk away and ignore him too (and my kids do nothing but painfull yelps and he does it more lol), he gets my ankles :lol: .

good luck to you too :D
Sylvaen wrote:hehe all puppies go through that stage, it's particularly bad around 3-4 months old (when they are teething) but if you give them lots of chew toys and encourage them to bite those instead, they'll soon learn that hands are off-limits and toys are ok.
ha ha... i had a feeling someone was gonna say that. hide chew sticks seem to keep him quiet for half hour but i'm not too sure if too many are bad for him or not... he has had a few hard rubber bones but he just picks thru them like they are nothing.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:17 am

Definitely avoid rawhide. If you can get dried bullspenis it's much better (because it can be chewed into pieces, swallowed and digested, whereas rawhide cannot be digested and can cause blockages). I think there was a discussion about it in the Diet Section. :)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:22 am

thanks for that, i'll have a look round town today :)

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 am

Welcome, Saga is not too bad at nipping, but does do it. I do the yelp, stand up, fold arms and look at the ceiling ignore, then redirect to a more appropriate chewing item - toy. If she carries on after this I have taken to using a light one finger tap on the nose with a stern NO and then giving her a toy, that seems to help as well. Getting her to stop nipping the youngest is more of a challenge, the screams and running are just too much fun not to nip them again.

Good luck

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:46 pm

JulieSmith wrote:Welcome, Saga is not too bad at nipping, but does do it. I do the yelp, stand up, fold arms and look at the ceiling ignore, then redirect to a more appropriate chewing item - toy. If she carries on after this I have taken to using a light one finger tap on the nose with a stern NO and then giving her a toy, that seems to help as well. Getting her to stop nipping the youngest is more of a challenge, the screams and running are just too much fun not to nip them again.

Good luck
i have tried tapping his nose to get his attention and saying no, then he bites my finger lol. oh and he loves it when the kids run screaming, he thinks they are playing chase. i'm thinking he will grow out of it because he's not nasty with it, he's just playing like he would with his brothers and sisters... i did fold arm's and look at the ceiling once, i have a bruise on my elbow and a hole in my jumper cuz i didn't see it coming to move out of the way :lol:

good luck to you too and thank you, all of you :mrgreen:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I read that to teach a dog not to chase kids you put them on a lead and get the kids to run past while you pull the dog back and say NO, repeat until either dog learns not to lung after them or kids get tired of the new game!! Not tried it myself, my youngest loves playing chase with her round the garden so would be very disapointed if Saga did not follow.

Once he has had all his jabs you can start at dog training classes, if he has not stopped by then they may have some other suggestions for you. Good luck, I am sure he will grow out of it, they are still babies.

Amy
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Amy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:54 pm

JulieSmith wrote:I read that to teach a dog not to chase kids you put them on a lead and get the kids to run past while you pull the dog back and say NO, repeat until either dog learns not to lung after them or kids get tired of the new game!! Not tried it myself, my youngest loves playing chase with her round the garden so would be very disapointed if Saga did not follow.

Once he has had all his jabs you can start at dog training classes, if he has not stopped by then they may have some other suggestions for you. Good luck, I am sure he will grow out of it, they are still babies.
:lol: :lol: :lol: i love it! i'll start work on that tomorrow. simple and it could work :mrgreen: and thank you :P

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Of course lots of treats and praise when they do ignore running children. Good luck hope it helps.

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Welcome to the Forum

Amy
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Amy » Wed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm