Hello from Washington!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
woiler03
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from Washington!

Post by woiler03 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:08 am

Hello,

My name is Cara and I first heard of the Tamaskan over a year ago when I was searching the internet for larger, lesser-know dog breeds. Like many I love ‘wolfie’ looking dogs without wanting to actually own a wolf hybrid. I was a child the first time I saw a high content Wolfdog that my neighbor brought home and I’d instantly wanted one instead of our run of the mill, hyper active, border collies. That, however, changed the first time I saw these great yellow eyes staring out the window at my cat like she was a five star orderve… :shock: He’d been bought as an adult and it was apparent that he wasn’t happy as a house pet or chained outside on his run. The first dog my family owned that I was old enough to help take responsibility for was an enormous Husky/Shepherd/Great Pyrenees monstrosity named Robbie that could haul five kids around a snowy field (with or without the sled :o ) so snow breeds are close to my heart.

When I first came across Tamaskans one of the ‘contacts’ I made was adamant that they were Czechoslovakian Wolfdog crosses and that put me off researching them further. I was so disappointed! However, I never make snap decisions when it comes to a new pet (it took me two years to get my Bengal cat, Pyewacket) and I recently came across the Tamaskan again, and I’m so glad I did! From what I’ve read so far from breeder's websites and owner testimonials they seem like breed that does well in diverse social situations as well as with other pets as long at they’re properly socialized.

Unfortunately I’ve never heard of one in the North West area, much less a breeder, so in the end I’m looking at shipping or a LONG road trip. For now I’d be grateful for any advise anyone may have while I do my research before bringing one home!

Cara

Rahne

Re: Hello from Washington!

Post by Rahne » Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 am

Welcome :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 am

Hi and welcome :D (I must say now before I forget... I LOVE BENGALS :mrgreen: ), happy you decided to give tams another chance :P

Sadly, you will come across A LOT of lies, rumours and fake/unethical breeders but if you just stick with the breeders here, you can't go wrong :P

I too take my time before deciding on a pet but I can honestly say getting a Tamaskan was one of the good decisions I’ve made in a long time...

anybody here will be happy to answer questions or concerns you have.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum!

A word of warning, tamaskan are addictive!!! But your life will be much richer and entertaining for having one share in it :D
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon May 02, 2011 12:47 pm

welcome to the forum! :D
enjoy your visits here, this forum has lots of great info about the breed (and photos too!) ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

muensterland
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by muensterland » Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello...Welcome to the forum! :)
best wishes from Kirsten and Karsten
http://www.tamaskan-vom-muensterland.de

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Hello Cara, welcome to the forum :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Welcome, and I agree Tamaskans are adictive.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:02 pm

hi welcome :D .

woiler03
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by woiler03 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:30 am

Wow! you guys/gals are awesome! I hope to learn a lot here. Seeing all the gorgeous pictures of your dogs, I can see how they'd be addictive! For a while I was coming up with pictures on the net with half the 'Tamaskans' looking closer to huskies in their coloring with over long coats and curling tails. I will be very careful before I make a decision. (to the other Bengal lover out there, I'm pretty sure mine was a dog in a past life with all the furniture chewing, toy hording, and playing in the toilets... :? )

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 am

woiler03 wrote:For a while I was coming up with pictures on the net with half the 'Tamaskans' looking closer to huskies in their coloring with over long coats and curling tails.
Those would be the copy-cat versions, not true Tamaskans...
There are various spin-off groups / wannabes out there, doing their own thing and using the Tamaskan name to market their puppies.
If you check out the "scams & warnings" section here on the forum, you can read all about it (and how to spot the fakes, etc).

I love bengals too! I have 6 cats already (all rescues / mixbreeds) but I'd love to have a bengal one day. :)

woiler03
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by woiler03 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:14 am

I learned the hard way by way of a friend to be very careful when purchasing a new pet. He found a rottweiler breeder and payed a very hefty price for one of their puppies only to find out the the puppy had debilitating hip dysplasia as well as several other health problems that his vet said the breeders must have been aware of. It was so sad to just see the heart ache and suffering it caused.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue May 03, 2011 1:37 am

Yep :(
Sadly very few of the non-registered breeders do any health testing... the best way to ensure a healthy pup is to only buy from a TDR registered breeder as all breeding dogs must be fully health tested (HD / DM / CERF etc as well as DNA profiled) for the litters to be registered.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue May 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Cara welcome to the forum :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Hello & welcome to the forum :D

NWHeather
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NWHeather » Wed May 04, 2011 12:06 am

Hello Cara, from a fellow Washintonian. I am a former Bengal owner as well. :)
I don't have a Tamaskan yet, I am in the research phase, but wolves are my favorite animals & I would love to have a dog that looks like a wolf, without having the wolf bloodlines.

cbannow
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by cbannow » Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 pm

hello...and welcome to the forum!
Tarheel Tamaskan
North Carolina, USA

“Dogs never bite me. Just humans.”
~Marilyn Monroe~

Amy
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Amy » Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Welcome to the Forum!! :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu May 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Welcome and glad you had a change of heart ;) I have yet to see a Bengal in the flesh but I have sold some of my pups to Bengal owners. They look very nice cats :D

woiler03
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by woiler03 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Like a Tam, Bengals are for want to bring something a little wild looking inside! I hear Tam's do well with cats. I hope so because my little wild cat thinks she's a big jungle cat! :lol:

Do Tam's tend to have the 'If it runs, I MUST chase!' mentality? :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 pm

what a stunning cat, when I first saw the photo I said to my husband I want one, but just a quick bit of reading I have changed my mind, too much hard work for me. :lol: :lol:

woiler03
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by woiler03 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm

She's really not that much work, just a lot of play. She jumps in the shower (very funny when there's company over for the night!), fishes in the toilet :? , fetches better than some dogs, and crawls under the covers. She'll be a year tomorrow! I just hope we can integrate a dog into the family as smoothly as possible!

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:57 pm

what a beautiful cat :D .

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 am

Welcome to the forum :D
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

BreannaP
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BreannaP » Fri May 06, 2011 1:21 am

Welcome
Your cat is very stunning ;)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 pm

woiler03 wrote:She's really not that much work, just a lot of play. She jumps in the shower (very funny when there's company over for the night!), fishes in the toilet :? , fetches better than some dogs, and crawls under the covers. She'll be a year tomorrow! I just hope we can integrate a dog into the family as smoothly as possible!
She sounds a wonderful cat and lots of fun, though could make getting a dog more of a challenge.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 am

Welcome, your cat is absolutely stunning!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Sat May 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Welcome to the world of Tamaskans

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat May 07, 2011 4:44 pm

she's beautiful... one day... just one day :|

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu May 19, 2011 9:44 am

Welcome to the Forum... Beautiful Cat! Have you heard of the Savannah cat? what do you think and is there a big difference between the breeds?

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 am

open question or closed? :lol:

The Bengal

The Bengal has been in development for a many, many years. The only breeds in use in a Bengal breeding program is a Bengal and rarely, an Asian Leopard Cat (bengal foundation cat, lives in forrest). because of that, it has gained consistency and continued to evolve and its look has been enhanced. In some cases, current Bengals actually have coats which look better than their wild ancestors. Their temperaments have been tamed but some of their interesting wild traits have remained. they like fetching like dogs, love water and are initially shy of strangers. some breeders who are licensed still use some Asian Leopard cats in their programs, but it is not very common. Those offspring are only allowed to go to VERY knowledgable, experienced owners who can handle difficult cats.

The Savannah

The Savannah is a very new breed and various domestic breeds are still being used in its development. Some of the breeds that have been used in Savannah breeding programs are: African Serval (savannah foundation cat, lives in... well, the savannah :D ) Bengals, Ocicats, Oriental Shorthairs, Egyptian Maus, Maine Coons, Serenghetti's and others. In a breeding program with a Mau you may find a very silvery darker background to the coat but better retained ear size. In a program with a Bengal, you may find smaller ears and some rosetting, but better golden ground color and better size. In breedings with Ocicats, you may lose difference in color between the spots and the base color, but better ear size. In breedings with Oriental Shorthairs, you may find better retained ear size and longer legs, but silver base color, very small spots and a smaller size.

It is only very recently that fertile 5th generation males have become available to use in breeding. So when you look for Savannahs, you will see lots of variety between various kittens and cats based on what has been used to make up their breeding past.

there are a few breeding difficulties with the Savannah tho. they won't bond or breed with a male they haven't grown up with...

i have looked into the 2 breeds a short while ago... cuz i did wonder my self (copy and pasted from my word doc i put together :D ) :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 am

TerriHolt wrote:open question or closed? :lol:

The Bengal

The Bengal has been in development for a many, many years. The only breeds in use in a Bengal breeding program is a Bengal and rarely, an Asian Leopard Cat (bengal foundation cat, lives in forrest). because of that, it has gained consistency and continued to evolve and its look has been enhanced. In some cases, current Bengals actually have coats which look better than their wild ancestors. Their temperaments have been tamed but some of their interesting wild traits have remained. they like fetching like dogs, love water and are initially shy of strangers. some breeders who are licensed still use some Asian Leopard cats in their programs, but it is not very common. Those offspring are only allowed to go to VERY knowledgable, experienced owners who can handle difficult cats.

The Savannah

The Savannah is a very new breed and various domestic breeds are still being used in its development. Some of the breeds that have been used in Savannah breeding programs are: African Serval (savannah foundation cat, lives in... well, the savannah :D ) Bengals, Ocicats, Oriental Shorthairs, Egyptian Maus, Maine Coons, Serenghetti's and others. In a breeding program with a Mau you may find a very silvery darker background to the coat but better retained ear size. In a program with a Bengal, you may find smaller ears and some rosetting, but better golden ground color and better size. In breedings with Ocicats, you may lose difference in color between the spots and the base color, but better ear size. In breedings with Oriental Shorthairs, you may find better retained ear size and longer legs, but silver base color, very small spots and a smaller size.

It is only very recently that fertile 5th generation males have become available to use in breeding. So when you look for Savannahs, you will see lots of variety between various kittens and cats based on what has been used to make up their breeding past.

there are a few breeding difficulties with the Savannah tho. they won't bond or breed with a male they haven't grown up with...

i have looked into the 2 breeds a short while ago... cuz i did wonder my self (copy and pasted from my word doc i put together :D ) :lol:

It was open...

I eventually wanted to look into getting a savannah... but I haven't done any extensive research. It's a bummer to hear they don't bond well with other cats they don't grow up with... Sounds like it has similar traits as the Clouded Leopard which is one of my favorite animals... but the are extremely hard to see in the wild and they very rarely breed in captivity cause they also have to be paired together young otherwise they will kill one another.

When I come to the point in my life to add a kitty I will be sure to do my research between these two breeds.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 am

when you get to the point in your life, things may change then. they are a fairly new breed and still have the traits of the wild counterparts... given a few years, they may be able to breed that part out where they only form a close relationship with cats they grow up with... just a thought. it does sound an interesting breed of cat tho and i kinda like the name too :P

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Welcome to the Forum!! :D

woiler03
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by woiler03 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:39 am

TerriHolt wrote:open question or closed? :lol:

The Bengal

The Savannah

It took me a very long time to chose between a Savannah and a Bengal but one day when I was looking through the Available kitten photos her's just popped out like she was about to tumble right onto the keyboard! I new right from her photo she was going to have a precocious personality and I was right.... boy was I right! But I love her! I think she'd do well with a dog in the family. She's shown no fear of dogs so far, although she has a strong dislike for peacocks and geese lol!

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:58 am

Hi welcome to the forum :) your cat is beautiful :)
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Welcome! And you have a beautyful cat! :D

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Interesting! I'd never heard of either of those breeds before I read this thread. Thanks for the information and welcome to the forum.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)