Hello From Michigan

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
mazincat
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello From Michigan

Post by mazincat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:03 am

I have a dog that I found in a shelter that fits almost all the all of the traits of a Tamaskan. She is wonderfully smart, has a very wolfish look to her, and I assume she's not a Tamaskan but she looks a lot like one. I think the probably has a lot of the same mixes in her, but she oddly has some very short legs. :) I suspect that maybe since I found her in a shelter (un-altered) that perhaps she had come from a mill that would have used her at as bitch. She has since been altered, but she is still a very beautiful dog and a wonderful companion.

Aside from her rather short legs, she fits the Tamaskan breed totally - at first I thought just a husky mix, but her face mask is much lower and goes down to her nose. She had almost none of the husky traits of the coloring, aside from her back, her face mask extends totally outward to her nose, and her eyes are a bright color that are not quite amber but they are brighter than the dark brown of regular dogs. Her tail lays flat most of the time, and even in play it perks up but never curls around her back.

I first got looking into looking into the Tamaskan breed because my neighbor called my dog a "wolf dog". After looking at some pictures I saw that she looked very similar to the pictures I had found of Tamaskan and various 'wolf dog' breeds. I hope that if she is Tamaskan she is one or a good portrayal of one. She's a good polite and very pack oriented animal. But as I said, I think she is a "mutt".

My dog - Sasha - has been spayed since I got her and won't be having litters. Regardless of the fact that I think she is a beautiful dog, I don't condone having more of her 'breed' whatever it is.

Some of her traits:
She loves to lay on her back - and is looking rather lazy a lot of times even going after toys. (often does a submissive belly up)
She is very feisty - she'll nip at the other dog in the house when she is in the mood for 'play time' ( but not nasty about it_
She loves to come over and put her head on my lap when she "wants" something, but she is having a hard time learning "words"
Oddly, she does have "Words" what I call her little howl growl thing she does to me a lot - it sounds a lot like "Brow wwooo!!!
She loves our older dog, a Rott/Shep mix and even though she is smaller she gives the bigger dog a hard time. :) We actually like it because we think it keeps our older dog acting young.
For awhile we had issues with her wanting to be in "The Den" if that meant our bedroom or even just under a table or anywhere like that ... she still loves to lay next to me whenever she can and I'm cool with it. I see her there, love it! :) Seriously I was just really happy when she realized we were "her pack".

Some of her "Smarts"
She's learned Sit, stay, and since she was seeming to be a very active dog I worked on other ideas with her as well.... we do this thing called
Touch" and I can put my hand anywhere and the needs to "touch" anywhere I put my hand or another piece of paper of whatever I tell her.
My only problem with her so far is leash training. She is super smart and learns everything really fast .. except leash. I take her out for walks, but I have to use a halti-leash on her and I hate doing it because she really starts to get a bit crazy on it.

My goal is to take her to some kind of obedience class just for the socialization, and then take her to agility classes.

Rahne

Re: Hello From Michigan

Post by Rahne » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:06 am

Welcome to the forum :D
Do you have any pictures of Sasha that you can share with us?

mazincat
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by mazincat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:37 am

I'm tying to get used to these forums, but I do have pictures of Sasha. As soon as I figure out how to post them. :}
Okay, I think that pic went thru.
that's my pup Sasha, her legs look a lot shorter that they really are -I think whoever had her before let her be out side alot more and her 'winter'coat was really big when we first got her. Her legs don't look nearly as snort now, but they are still quite short for a Tamaskan breed.

She is about 2 years old now as near as we know, and her body is about as long as my Rott/Shep mix but she still weighs in around 50 lbs. So she's still a small girl.

This picture was taken really soon after we got her -in May of 2009 , so she was really full of her winter coat. We've actually not seen the same thing again with her having her as a mainly indoor dog - and she does LOVE to run but she also LOVES to be with her pack ... I can't leave her outdoors for even 10 minutes or she's scratching at the door to come back in.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 am

hi welcome, love sasha she's very pretty :D .

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 am

welcome

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:59 am

She looks very nice :)
She reminds me of the Swedish Vallhund. They look like tamaskans but have very short legs like your girl.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sasha looks very pretty.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
Rahne wrote:She reminds me of the Swedish Vallhund. They look like tamaskans but have very short legs like your girl.
I was thinking the same thing... either that or a Tamaskan X Corgi mix lol... but I think Swedish Vallhund is more logical. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I have to agree with Rahne and Sylvaen, Swedish Vallhund what I also thought from your description and the picture.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Welcome to the Forum
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 am

Welcome. Sasha is adorable :D
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 am

Yes Vallhund would be my first choice.
Also she could be a siberian husky cross but I very much doubt Tamaskan.
Either way I'm sure she will be a lovely pet for you :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum... Where in Michigan? I am in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

muensterland
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by muensterland » Fri May 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
best wishes from Kirsten and Karsten
http://www.tamaskan-vom-muensterland.de

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Wed May 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum!! :D Sasha is very pretty!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed May 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Welcome, sasha looks a lovely dog, I have a rescue dog and it is lots of fun playing guess the mix, we are still guessing and I have had her 13 years now!!!

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Welcome to the world of Tamaskans

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Sasha is lovely, welcome to the forum.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.