Hello From The USA

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
SheJackal
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello From The USA

Post by SheJackal » Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Hello!

I'm from from Massachusetts. I do not own a Tamaskan, nor to I plan to get one at any time. However I am against the breeding of wolf hybrids and support any attempt to give would-be dog owners/handlers a wolf-free alternative that may look the part, but doesn't have the same potential for devistating issues that can result from improper handling and management. I'm attracted to the higher drive working dog types but I do love the pointy ears lol. My housemate is looking into the breed for her next dog.

I have two dogs. The first "Ryuk" is a 3 year old 55lb "farm bred" male ACD who does competitive OB, frisbee, canine freestyle, schutzhund, and bikejoring. I got him as a 5 month old bag of bones and teeth after his previous owner declared him untrainable. He does take a certain kind of handler and being very much working bred he wasn't doing well with the whole "family dog" set up. I won the lottery with this dog, I can literally bring him anywhere and trust him in any situation I've thrown at him. He's dog social, people social, loves kids, and is generally bombproof. True to the cattle dog personality however there's always that sneaking suspicion he's plotting world dominantion behind your back....

My second is 1.5-ish year old Gambit. Gambit is a registered working bred purebred Belgian Malinois. He was purchased from a working kennel by his previous owner as a protection dog prospect. Unfortunatly, with NO dog experience, much less working dog or protection training skill his previous owner quickly found himself way over his head. Gambit was trained with 100% compulsion by someone with no skill which, combined with kennel living done the "wrong way", fried him. His previous owner washed him out as complete failure for any work and offered him to the first person of a certain forum willing to drive out and pick him up. I'd been following Gambit's "progress" on the forum and based on the descriptions of how this dog failed at everything thought that there was something really solid there that had been squashed by bad training (and worst case senario he'd still get out of that home). I drove out to pick him up and was pleasantly surprised at the "failed" dog that was turned over to me. Despite being completely fried it couldn't hide that he was a really nice dog who really REALLY just wanted to work for his handler. He was 11 months old when I brought him home. I pretended he was an 8 week old puppy (with a harder bite lol) and did all super happy play socialization and games with him. Took about a month for him to start to rebound. Now he's back doing protection in a more sport like setting (which as a puppy is all he should be doing, confidence and prey, no defense), he's flying up through bitework, his OB is still slightly frantic due to the hard compulsion training but he's learning to work in drive and relax and has become a joy to train with. He's a SUPER social dog who honestly loves people and other dogs but is very much handler oriented. He even gets along with my housemate's cats (and will never in a million years be left alone with one >_>) and loves kids. We still have a way to go in general manners work and learning to be a dog. We're working on barking (he was left in a bark collar since he was a young puppy), crate training (the issue we're having stem from the bark collar use, which is a new training challenge I've never encountered before), and being a polite intact male dog.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hello From The USA

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Both dogs are lovely and lucky to find a better home.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi and welcome... lovely dogs...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 16, 2012 12:51 am

Welcome to the forum! :D
It sounds like both dogs have big personalities :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Stormslegacy
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Stormslegacy » Wed May 16, 2012 1:44 am

If it helps, I'm the roomate in question =D I trust SheJackal when it comes to dogs and was telling her a lot about the dogs on this forum. I asked her to join so that we could talk more about them as I'm evaluating which lines i would like to look at etc.

shurr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by shurr » Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 am

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful dogs by the way :]

Asvodian
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Asvodian » Wed May 16, 2012 2:43 am

Welcome to the forum. if ya ask me looks like both dogs are plotting world domination. ill keep an eye on the news so that i know when they are coming for us

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 am

A warm welcome from Scotland and both your dog's are cracking. :P

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 am

Welcome :D

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 am

Welcome!

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. I loved reading the story behind your two dogs and I agree that they are very lucky to have found a home with you. They're both lovely looking dogs.
~Gabriele~

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed May 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Welcome, your dogs are very nice looking :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed May 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Welcome aboard, sound like you have a handful and yep the Tamaskan is no wolfdog

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi welcome, lovely dogs :D

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 am

Welcome! Your dogs are beautiful :D
Katurah

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu May 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Welcome, you have lovely lucky dogs

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Fri May 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Welcome to the forum. Your dogs are lovely and thanks for telling their stories :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce