Hi from Texas

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Lotusiar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hi from Texas

Post by Lotusiar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi,

I have been looking for the right kind of dog for me for quite some time, compared wolfdogs with wolf look alikes and their temperaments.
I am originally from Germany, moved to Texas about 6 months ago and just recently moved into a house with my husband. We have 3 cats, the house has about 2000 sqft and a nice backyard.
My parents have a German Shepherd-Rottweiler-Irish Setter-Collie-Dachshund mix (yes, he got it all lol) that I grew up with. His name is Sammy and he's a 13 years old but has not been socialized well. We got him when he still had a slight blue shine in his furr indicating he was only 6 weeks at the time, which is as you should know and we found out later, much too early, which means he does not get along with other dogs well and barks/growls at every male dog.
Guess that´s the downside of getting a dog from neighbors or coworkers, who don´t really know what they are doing.
Don't get me wrong, my parents would NEVER for ANYTHING in the world give up Sammy, and I would have taken him with me if he weren't my moms. BUT I would not do this mistake again, knowing full well, not every dog may have turned out as well as Sammy did (except for the barking and seperation anxiety).

Now, I'm curious what you think, if a tamaskan would be a good fit for me.
knowing I grew up with cats and a large dog (also had ferrets), living in a house with a nice backyard and a 6 ft fence, left and right neighbors having dogs as well, thinking about the texan climate (have a little pond/waterfall in the yard), me and my husband work full time, so the dog would stay in the yard during the day (would get a doggy house for shelter), but I would of course spend my free time with him,go for a longer walk in the morning and as soon as we come back, plus before going to sleep, taking him to parks or woods nearby on the weekends and would be allowed to sleep inside and stay inside when we´re at home. We might also consider getting a door to the yard changed with a dog door.

I would appreciate all your opinions, but please note I would not treat this magnificent breed or any dog as a "just stay in the yard" type of pet. I don't see a point in getting a pet to purely look nice...
Also if you think a Tamaskan would be a good fit for me (and vice versa), could you please point me to breeders or rescues in Texas or close by, since I would not like to put a puppy or rescue through the stress of a long journey by air.

Thank you

Nina

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hi from Texas

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello Nina, welcome to the forum! :)
I myself live in Texas with 2 Tamaskans (almost 3 yr old male, fixed, and 12 week old female). I myself would never leave my dogs outside while I am not home. Too much to worry about (heat with their thick coats, neighbors, dog thievery or worse). While we are gone, we will leave our dogs either in crates or leave them free to roam the house with puzzle games, something to entertain their minds.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 am

Welcome to the forum! :D
Lotusiar wrote:living in a house with a nice backyard and a 6 ft fence, left and right neighbors having dogs as well, thinking about the texan climate (have a little pond/waterfall in the yard), me and my husband work full time, so the dog would stay in the yard during the day (would get a doggy house for shelter), but I would of course spend my free time with him,go for a longer walk in the morning and as soon as we come back, plus before going to sleep, taking him to parks or woods nearby on the weekends and would be allowed to sleep inside and stay inside when we´re at home. We might also consider getting a door to the yard changed with a dog door.
I used to live in Katy, TX and when we lived there we had 2 Golden Retriever x Labrador siblings - during the day while my family was at work / school the dogs stayed in the (air-conditioned) kitchen, which was fenced off with baby-gates so they couldn't access the rest of the house. The kitchen door (leading to the backyard) had a dog door so they could access the yard at any time during the day, but we would never leave them out there while we weren't at home. During the summer the temperature in Houston can skyrocket even by early morning and a dog house just wouldn't cut it. The heat was bad enough for our Golden Retriever x Labrador siblings - who would jump into the pool to cool off - let alone for an arctic breed like the Tamaskan, which would be very uncomfortable to live outdoors during the summer.

I also wouldn't recommend leaving a Tamaskan home alone (certainly not without another dog for company) as they are very pack oriented and will be very lonely (howling a lot) and might even resort to destructive behavior (out of boredom or in an attempt to escape). Also, even if the backyard has a high fence, this breed loves to dig and a bored Tamaskan could easily dig under the fence and go off on an adventure around the neighborhood to say hello to the other local dogs, which could result in a whole other set of problems (accidental matings, fights, etc). Add to that the risk of someone stealing such a rare and valuable dog... it just isn't worth it. I never let my Tams outside in the yard if I am not at home and on hand to supervise them. Generally, I don't recommend this breed for any family that works full time, without at one person at home during the day (working part time or from home) - this breed is very intelligent and loves to be challenged, to have a physically and mentally active daily life... so if the dog(s) will be cooped up without human company for 8+ hours each day, in the yard or in the house, it just will likely result in problems.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:33 am

Hi and welcome :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Welcome aboard the International Tamaskan Forum

Lotusiar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Lotusiar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:55 am

Thank you all for your welcome and the first answers to my questions.

hoping to get some more feedback, before making a decision.

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 am

Welcome to the forum!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)