Hello everyone!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
acmccart8
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello everyone!

Post by acmccart8 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:58 am

My name is Tony, my girlfriend is April.

We have a 5 month old shiba inu, Onyx, and are planning on getting a tamaskan or husky in the next few years. I enjoy outdoor exercises such as hiking, running and biking often, so I know the breeds would be perfect for a companion.

I live in North Caroline, went to NC State, which is when/where I heard of the breed, from the famous poisioning of our school mascot, Tuffy. I have always loved wild looking animals, hence why we have a shiba inu, and have discussed getting a bengal or toyger kitten. I am a huge dog person but my girlfriend is a cat lover so I have a few questions.

1. How are tamaskans with smaller animals. I am not worried about Onyx, he plays with my roommates lab/pit mix who is 5 times his size, and loves bigger dogs and plays very rough. My concern is the cat. I know huskys dont play well with small animals, I was wondering if anyone has experience with tamaskans with smaller animals.

2. How noisy are tamaskans? I constantly see videos of tamaskans howling, which is ok occasionally, but I don't want the neighbors to hate us because our dog is always howling.

3. I know tamaskans are very friendly and loving. One of the reasons we have a shiba now is because of how good they are with kids if trained properly. I was wondering if anyone has ever had any trouble with interactions between small kids and there dogs.

4. Exercise. Like I said I exercise a lot, but during the cold months, I only run about 2 times a week. Do tamaskans need as much as huskys (1 long run a day), or with a decent sized back yard, can the tamaskan get off with just a 20 minute walk a day, with a few runs a week.

5. Lastly, I hear tamaskans can be very destructive at home. Our shiba at five months can pretty much already be trusted out for long periods, with the exception of having accidents. I don't want to have to worry about the tamaskan being locked up all the time while we are at work, just because he/she is so destructive that we can't leave him/her out.

This is probably a while off, 2 years or so, until I move out of my apartment, and hopefully into a house big enough and with a large backyard for a large dog. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading my long first post!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:53 am

Hello Tony and April, welcome to the forum! :)

Tuffy himself was not poisoned, but it was his father and the rest of the pack of that home that were poisoned. To answer your questions, this is with my experience with my two (3 yr old male, 3 month female).

1. They are fine with small animals, ours live with two cats.
2. Ours are not too noisy, except while playing.
3. My boy loves kids, prefers them over adults, our girl has yet to meet any, but she already loves every person she meets, just wants to jump on them.
4. Tamaskans don't need excersize like huskys do, but enjoy it. Ours get a half hour to a couple hours walk in the morning and if we have time, a few hours at the dog park.
5. The only destructive mine have done, is due to boredom, most of this just finding something up on the counters to chew up. They love finding something to do, so we have a puzzle game, puzzle ball, kongs, and maybe a few bones to chew on throughout the house to keep them occupied while we are out. The only true destruction done was part of a couch where my cats had gotten into and my boy wanted to get to them, moved another couch across the room for the same reason.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am

Welcome to the forum! :D
I hope you enjoy your visits here and find all the answers to your questions.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Welcome on this forum ;)
http://www.vantaelsesluske.nl __ greetings Stefanie

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi and welcome. HiTenshi16 pretty much summed it up but:

Dogs and Kids:

Dogs and Cats (lacking pictures because every time i see them together and get the camera, they move :roll: Very frustrating...)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:58 am

Hi welcome :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 am