New ish member

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
fergusbr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

New ish member

Post by fergusbr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Joined the Forum a little while ago but never posted anything. I got my Tamaskan in July, first Canadian litter. (Tamrakar) Tamara is now 8 months old. She is VERY loving and adores all people and animals. She crates well when we are away and I have a mini dachshund to keep her company. Her recall is good provided there are no distractions and she is hungry and I have a pocket full of delicious treats. Fresh dear tracks around...... not so good. We still have issues with mouthing although we believe she has all her adult teeth. We think grabbing everyone with her mouth is her way of greeting and saying hello. Any suggestions on how to stop this? She is a very strong puller and have tried training and many gadgets to no avail. I think she has taken on many of the husky traits. Does anyone know if 8 months is too young to introduce skijoring ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: New ish member

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Hello, welcome!
fergusbr wrote: Fresh dear tracks around...... not so good.
I suggest you to keep her on a long (tracking) leash all the time and give her daily ration of food on walks for rewarding good behaviours (recalls...). Never let she makes a mistake, meaning she ignores you and sniffing around. With leash you have her under control. Patience (and consistency) pays off, believe me ;)
fergusbr wrote:We think grabbing everyone with her mouth is her way of greeting and saying hello.
Teach her new behaviour for greeting people, like sitting or standing on the ground with all four legs. You can use clicker for marking behaviour or just a word. If she is really rough, then you can use halti (special collar over dogs mouth) to calm her a little bit and reward after she sits or stands calmly. This video can be useful:

fergusbr wrote: Does anyone know if 8 months is too young to introduce skijoring ?
You can introduce equipment (skis) and rewarding her for nice behaviour. And starting teaching her to pull, when she has harness on. Only a few meters, without skis for start. I would not be exaggerating and wait with serious training until she will be one year old and then slowly increase the difficulty of trainings.

fergusbr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by fergusbr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I do have a halti but haven't used it yet. She is very smart and picks up tricks very quickly so your suggestion to replace bad behavior with an appropriate one might be the way to go. It may still be a challenge as she gets VERY excited when people are around at first. I've always thought, setting the ground work for now is good and hopefully when she matures she'll just "get it" and calm down a bit.
I started this afternoon with her pulling my 8yr old daughter on her skis in the backyard a little. I run beside Tamara while holding the harness crossed on her back and I do most of the pulling. lol. The challenge will be keeping her from distractions, but you can tell she enjoys the job and the attention. I have been using the commands Gee and Ha since I got her and have since introduced Wait, Easy and On By. It's a work in progress.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:43 pm

As Tams do mature very slowly, physically and mentally, please be careful with starting her too soon with pulling added weight. She needs the time to allow her bones to grow and I know my breeder feels 16-18 months is the soonest.

As for the mouthing and jumping, I'm still working on those and my boy is two :roll:

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:51 am

Welcome to the forum :) your girl is beautiful!

fergusbr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by fergusbr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Eventide wrote:As Tams do mature very slowly, physically and mentally, please be careful with starting her too soon with pulling added weight. She needs the time to allow her bones to grow and I know my breeder feels 16-18 months is the soonest.

That long eh? okay.

As for the mouthing and jumping, I'm still working on those and my boy is two :roll:
oh :shock:

fergusbr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by fergusbr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm

TParham86 wrote:Welcome to the forum :) your girl is beautiful!
thank you !