Luna

A place to remember our loved ones who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Luna

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Dear friends,

Those of you who are friends with me on Facebook will have already heard the sad news, which is also the reason I haven't been active here on the forum lately. I am only just now able to post about it here; it was just too painful to discuss earlier with those I don't know so well. This past week has been a real emotional roller-coaster for me...

On Monday (Halloween) I took Luna to the vet in the morning; she'd already been sick for a couple of weeks and had been receiving broad-spectrum antibiotics treatment, which wasn't helping. She was in poor condition and skinny, despite eating normally, and started getting wobbly / falling over... which got worse and worse (walking with stiff legs, falling over all the time, etc). By last Monday she was completely ataxic and the vets were totally mystified. They thought it was Feline Calicivirus and told me that the prognosis didn't look good and that she might die - all we could do was keep her alive, try to fight any secondary bacterial infections, and hope her immune system would fight the virus - if it could be beaten at all. By Wednesday she was much worse: she couldn't move any part of her body, only her tail and eyes, everything else was stiff and she couldn't raise her head. On Thursday she was totally limp and I took her back to the vet for emergency treatment but they told me it was basically too late - she was in the final stages. They tried to take her blood to run another test but were only able to get a single drop, which wasn't enough to test - she just didn't have any blood left in her and I asked about a blood transfusion but they said they only did it for dogs, in very rare cases, but they'd never done it for a cat and didn't have the facilities / equipment. They just gave her an IV drip and kept her warm. I didn't want to give up hope as it seemed she was still fighting and hanging on, but around 19:30 it became obvious that she was close to death and nothing could be done. I asked the vet to put her to sleep so she wouldn't suffer anymore, but then she just died in my arms before they came back in the room with the injection / paperwork. At least it didn't drag on for too long and now she is finally at peace... just wish there was more I could have done. :cry:

Unfortunately, the vets have no idea why she died and said it could be any number of reasons... the problem is that Leo (my oldest cat and the only male) is starting to show the same symptoms. Luna was only one year old (my youngest cat) and, as with my 5 other cats, fully vaccinated and indoor-only. It's very strange but the vets think it must be some very rare type of disease or perhaps a blood parasite... there's no fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea, no cough, no sneezing, etc. They just become very lethargic and lose weight, despite eating and drinking normally until they can't feed / drink themselves (even until the end Luna was still able to swallow water in a syringe though). Apart from that: slight eye discharge, poor coat, losing fur on the tops of their ears, becoming skinny and in poor condition, sometimes painful to be touched, and spend most of the time hiding away under furniture in a dark location... I noticed that Luna had been eating kitty litter and dirt so I figured it was anemia, and when Leo started eating dirt I figured perhaps it was Feline Infectious Anemia but so far all the bloodtests have been normal. He has also started walking a bit funny, as though he is stiff and in pain, but not nearly as bad as Luna was. Anyway, Leo has also been getting daily IV drips and he'll get more bloodtests on Monday - I really hope we can figure this out before any more of my cats die. It's a real nightmare. :(

On Friday morning I dug a grave for her by the riverbank, under the trees... a really beautiful location on a bright sunny day with the autumn leaves falling all around. It's a peaceful spot that is quite secluded, but it's in a place that I visit often (when walking the dogs) - it's just still hard to imagine that she's really gone. :cry:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Luna

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:34 pm

I wish I would of not read this, I'm crying now :cry:
You did everything you could and I know you took the best care of her. I hope they figure what is wrong with Leo before it is too late. I send my love and best wishes.
RIP Luna :cry:

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 pm

This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss, Debby. RIP Luna. I hope Leo is ok. :cry:

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:13 pm

RIP Luna :(

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:30 pm

i'm so so very sorry to hear that debby... heart goes out to you and she was beautiful.

it sounds really wierd but it doesn't sound like feline calicivirus because those symptoms are often similar to that of a head cold in humans such as sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, runny eyes, salivation, ulceration of the tongue & palate (we rescued a stray called gizmo when i was little who had most of the above).

i hope your other cat gets well soon. it's bad enough it happening to 1. GET BETTER LEO!

did vets test or aids or leukemia? probible a really stupid question but thats what it sounds a tiny bit like.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:43 pm

As I said on Facebook, My condolences to you Debby and the rest of your pack. I hope you figure out what Leo has soon.

RIP Luna

Get better Leo!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Oh dear, I hope Leo will be okay. Very scary, it must be so hard for you, after losing your beloved Luna. And she was so young. :cry: What a tragic thing to go through. I'm very sorry for your loss and I'm thinking about you and Leo!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks guys... it means so much to me... everyone has been so supportive and kind. It's just such a horrible experience, to feel so helpless and to wish things could have turned out differently - somehow. It's a really sad situation but it does get a bit easier to cope with time. Already I feel a bit better and I can think about her without bursting into tears every few minutes... but it still feels very raw and painful. I wasn't planning to get any more tattoos for a while... buuuut I think it would be nice to commemorate her - I just have to think of a design / location. But that's something to think about for the future, for now I have to focus on my other cats - Leo is also showing the same symptoms and the vets are still completely mystified as to what could be causing it. I'll go to a different vet on Monday to get a second opinion... it hurts so bad to lose Luna, I can't even imagine losing another to the same scenario.

It's just really eating me up inside - not knowing WHY she died and IF there was something else I could have done... I really hope we figure it out soon, but I'm not sure what will be worse: finding out it is something incurable and that there was nothing I could have done but now Leo (and the others) are all at risk... OR finding out it is something that could be cured, knowing my other cats will be safe, but having to live with Luna's unnecessary death for the rest of my life. Either scenario really sucks. :(
TerriHolt wrote:it sounds really wierd but it doesn't sound like feline calicivirus because those symptoms are often similar to that of a head cold in humans such as sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, runny eyes, salivation, ulceration of the tongue & palate (we rescued a stray called gizmo when i was little who had most of the above).
The only symptom she had of the ones you mention was a sore on her bottom lip and on the tip of her tongue, which is why the vet guessed FCV.
TerriHolt wrote:did vets test or aids or leukemia? probible a really stupid question but thats what it sounds a tiny bit like.
They have all been vaccinated buuuut I suppose it is possible that Leo's vaccination wore off (even though I tested Libra, his sister, this past spring when she was sick with feline hepatic lipidosis - and they had both been vaccinated at the same time and she was negative for FIV / FeLV). Anyway, I will get the FeLV / FIV / Heartworm combo SNAP test done on Monday - please keep your fingers crossed that the results will be negative...

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:46 pm

crossing fingers, toes and all 3 sets of paws for you both. it's the worst thing ever to have to go thru, no one should have to go thru it twice...

there are many cat infections that are not heard of too much, they are just the ones i have read up on... when i decided to get my first cat i read up on common, serious problems and made a mental note and those are what stuck the most (feline calicivirus because of how human like it was)...

a lot of issues involve diarrhea and as you said there was none... anyone else had sick cats in the area? been house cats and not coming into contact with other ill cats makes me wonder about some illnesses been airborne? it's just odd that a house cat can get something so horrid (spoiled my theory of getting a house cat to keep it safe) unless disease can travel on human clothes/flesh... i've actually googled (tyring to help you help leo :oops: ) and nothing matches every symptom you said. there is some from 1 and some from another kinda thing but not under the same list of symptoms.

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:15 pm

so sorry for your sad loss,i just am lost for words , Rip Luna :(

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:43 pm

RIP Luna, So sorry to hear the news, I am sure you did everything you could to help her. I hope Leo will be fine.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 pm

RIP Luna :( it's so painful putting a loved one down, putting Bart to sleep was the worst feeling I've ever felt..he was purring to the very end :cry: :cry: My prayers are with you that your other cats are good and that Leo gets better

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm

:cry: RIP Luna! My prayers are with you for the rest of your pack. get better Leo!

HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by HellanDK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:46 pm

We're sorry to hear! :(

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:29 pm

TerriHolt wrote:crossing fingers, toes and all 3 sets of paws for you both. it's the worst thing ever to have to go thru, no one should have to go thru it twice...
Thanks....

The good news is all the results came back negative (no FIV / FeLV) and his biochemistry profile looks OK too, same with blood analysis; only one or two parameters were slightly off.

The bad news is that this means the vets are still none-the-wiser about why he is so sick. We'll go back for more tests tomorrow... I'm thinking it must be some kind of blood parasite.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 pm

keeping everything crossed for better news :(

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:03 am

Well as I have told you on FB Debby I think you did as much as your possible could for Luna. The vets were mystified as to why Meeko got pancreatits twice and told me to just keep giving him fluids. Suddenly everything just got better, he gained weight and was a happy cat. The 3 vets I talked to were puzzled. Sadly this rare happy case almost never happens and I know I am so lucky that he is still kicking around. I am convinced that the cat decides when it's time to go. Luna lived much longer than she ever would have lived on the streets and I think that one year you gave her was good enough for her. She probably never had much of that "cat experience" us kitty lovers give our felines but you gave her so much. You must always know that she passed a happy and loved cat (don't you EVER forget that).

Meeko and I are sending as many good vibes across the pond as we can. You have my entire family's prayers :) <3 Good luck Leo, and good luck to you too Debby :)

PS sometimes the vets will not find anything (although it sucks). Cats will hide everything but they are incredible healers! Don't give up!!

I had made this for my Gramma who loves Meeko as much as I do, I think it fits well :')

Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:50 am

well, i'm happy for you that those 2 came back ok... it just sucks not knowing...

can't say it any better than has already been said but we all know you do your best for everybody in your house. no one can do any more than that and will never be able to... good luck with leo...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Im sorry to hear about this Debby and wish you well and Good luck. I know how you are feeling.