Australia Import

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Australia Import

Post by Blustag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

You would be amazed at just how many enquires I am getting for puppies to go to AUS and NZ... problem is cost. :evil: Price of puppy plus flight which from UK is around £1,000 then on top of that masses of blood and poo samples and then we have to keep puppy until 4 months of age before being allowed to fly over. Blood tests etc are expensive.. not sure of the total cost of today's prices at the moment. So all in all quite expensive but all in all depends on how much you would love a Tamaskan out there. I am promising myself that the first Tamaskan out in Aus will be accompanied by me :D One country I still have left yet to visit and is on my "to do" list :lol: I have sent dogs out to NZ in the past so do know the routine, but they weren't Tamaskan.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: G'day From australia

Post by Misaya » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Do they have to go into quarantine once they get there Lynn?
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm

No IF they come direct from the UK... if from USA or elsewhere then yes. We are an island so no rabies here.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 pm

That's really good then. Makes things much better for any future exports from UK. :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Natasha
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

australia

Post by Natasha » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:16 am

Wish we had the same laws in Australia as NZ does! :(

Doesn't matter which country any animal comes from, they must spend at least 30 days in quarantine if coming from certain countries.

SpiritEcho
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SpiritEcho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 am

Blustag wrote:You would be amazed at just how many enquires I am getting for puppies to go to AUS and NZ... problem is cost. :evil: Price of puppy plus flight which from UK is around £1,000 then on top of that masses of blood and poo samples and then we have to keep puppy until 4 months of age before being allowed to fly over. Blood tests etc are expensive.. not sure of the total cost of today's prices at the moment. So all in all quite expensive but all in all depends on how much you would love a Tamaskan out there. I am promising myself that the first Tamaskan out in Aus will be accompanied by me :D One country I still have left yet to visit and is on my "to do" list :lol: I have sent dogs out to NZ in the past so do know the routine, but they weren't Tamaskan.
I personally think the high cost factor is a good thing, it might help limit puppy mills form importing willy-nilly
there are a lot of people that see $$$ not dog, money is more important than the feelings and needs of their pet/s.
I'm not a wealthy bloke I'm not even comfortable in the finance department, I have been troubled with my business through accountants screwing us over and other businesses failing to pay their due accounts then going bankrupt, I have had $38000 worth of equipment damaged in a flash flood dropping my income by another $20000 a year, yet my pets have what they need, they are vetted regularly, and never home or locked up for more than a 6 hour period in a day.
Natasha wrote:Wish we had the same laws in Australia as NZ does! :(

Doesn't matter which country any animal comes from, they must spend at least 30 days in quarantine if coming from certain countries.
yup but 30 days for one of these is worth it I think, so far I have been impressed by the appearance of the Tams temperament suitable, really I think if you've owned a husky for more than 2 years and still like the breed, why not upgrade to the Tamaskan.

I'm now looking at becoming a breeder somewhere in 3 to 5 years, I'm going to try and make it happen sooner.
with some research on genetics, and I have looked at breeders software which has been recommended by one of the breeders here. All I really need to do then to kick things along is get into a better house with a proper yard! before I apply all necessary registers. the easy part is talking with the breeders here and purchasing my first pup.
Dogs are a gift most people don't deserve ^..^

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Australia Import

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi all - we've just had confirmation (on Monday!) that my husband has been offered a permanant job in Australia and as such we're planning the big move in May this year! Eeek! :shock:

It was a bit out of the blue for us, but it's an internal transfer within his company so they are able to fast track him and it looks like it'll move pretty swiftly!

Our boys will of course be coming with us and they're currently in the process of getting their passports so hopefully, at the end of May we'll all head off down under.

I just wondered if anyone could recommend a pet transport company that they have used and trusted? From what I have read and seen, it'll cost us in the region of £6k to fly them both over (I blame our 46kg GSD for the bulk of that!!) but more important than cost is quality of service and reputability of them. I'm hoping that they'll fly on the same flight as us, but if anyone has any suggestions re. good or bad pet transport services, it would be great to hear from you.

Many thanks guys.... and I'm wondering if Tuskyn will in fact be the first official Tamaskan to set foot in Oz? If so, Blustag, you're more than welcome to accompany him! :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Lol...thanks. Skymaster Animal Cargo at Manchester Airport is the company that I use and have known them for over 30 yrs. I will travel the full width of UK to get to them now that I have moved. They also deal with zoo animals and are very knowledgable about our Tamaskan as they have flown dozens now over the last years. Contact there is Pat. Dont forget to contact DEFRA for all the dogs requirements for entry into Aus.... it is rather complicated not just a Pets Passport and does take time.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:09 pm

wow that's crazy (yet exciting) news! you should take some puppies with you! :D ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Blustag wrote:Lol...thanks. Skymaster Animal Cargo at Manchester Airport is the company that I use and have known them for over 30 yrs. I will travel the full width of UK to get to them now that I have moved. They also deal with zoo animals and are very knowledgable about our Tamaskan as they have flown dozens now over the last years. Contact there is Pat. Dont forget to contact DEFRA for all the dogs requirements for entry into Aus.... it is rather complicated not just a Pets Passport and does take time.
Thanks for the details - I will get in touch with Pat :)

Yeah, the whole rabies shot/passports/certificates/blood tests etc is going to take time, but our vet seems to think that now their passports are on the way, we should be okay fingers crossed! We were actually thinking we'd be relocated to Canada so we'd already started the passport part... now we have to figure out what we need for Oz, but our vet is great and I'll of course seek some advice from Pat now as well. My 2 concerns are a) either of them escaping mid-flight and running like the wind across the runway and b) the 30 days in quarantine. Hopefully it'll be worth it though...

Thanks for the advice though - it really is much appreciated :)

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Sylvaen wrote:wow that's crazy (yet exciting) news! you should take some puppies with you! :D ;)

LOL! I would love to!! Also, Tuskyn has had his bits off so sadly he won't be able to contribute to any Tamaskan foundation stock over there. I love the sound of a new puppy though... although I think my husband may have concerns :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Tuskietoes wrote:
Sylvaen wrote:wow that's crazy (yet exciting) news! you should take some puppies with you! :D ;)

LOL! I would love to!! Also, Tuskyn has had his bits off so sadly he won't be able to contribute to any Tamaskan foundation stock over there. I love the sound of a new puppy though... although I think my husband may have concerns :lol:
:lol: you should take female puppies with you - then you could Start with the Tamaskans over there :lol:
>> Nino <<

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 pm

if the pup as all the requirements done in the UK before coming to australia. does it have to stay in quarantine for 30 days? couldn't it stay for smaller amount of time? because i had looked at the quarantine site and most of the stuff like micro chipping and blood tests that are done before coming to australia shorten the time spent in quarantine?
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:52 pm

The rules are changing all the time. When I get a definate request for a puppy I then contact the relevant authorities and get the up to date information. There is quite a process to go through for puppies going out to Aus and NZ.

swake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by swake » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:56 pm

dont know much about sending dogs or puppys places but have you tried going around? Maybe fly it to the US, then have it sent from there over to Australia? Something that will have to be looked at. Though, I really dont think it will work for whats the difference between the UK and the US? Though, it maybe a lope hole you can squeeze through, just have to check. good luck!
LuLu has been missing for about 6 months. lost in my area and it hits close to home, though animals have been found across the world. So if you have seen this dog please let one of these people know
http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindLulu

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:16 pm

NOPE this would not work. Only registered agents can now send out puppies to USA such as myself. The cost for this would be in the region of between £550 and £750 approx. Then there is the cost to fly to Aus.... not good ;)
I do have people asking me if they can come over and collect the puppy from USA and fly it back with them. This too is not acceptable anymore. All puppies have to go cargo through an agent such as myself. It is all to do with the recent terrorist activities. ALL airlines 'need' to know just who is moving the dogs and the shipper has to be known to them personally. One can no longer pay with a cheque or cash either. Payment has to go through my business account so that it can be traced.

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Blustag wrote:NOPE this would not work. Only registered agents can now send out puppies to USA such as myself. The cost for this would be in the region of between £550 and £750 approx. Then there is the cost to fly to Aus.... not good ;)
I do have people asking me if they can come over and collect the puppy from USA and fly it back with them. This too is not acceptable anymore. All puppies have to go cargo through an agent such as myself. It is all to do with the recent terrorist activities. ALL airlines 'need' to know just who is moving the dogs and the shipper has to be known to them personally. One can no longer pay with a cheque or cash either. Payment has to go through my business account so that it can be traced.
They are worried about terrorists putting explosives inside dogs and puppies :cry: :evil:
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 am

You got it...it happens :twisted:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Blustag wrote:You got it...it happens :twisted:
How many times can I say PARANOID. That also sucks for any future owners, the hoops both you and them have to jump through....*sigh* and to think September 11th is coming up on it's 10 year anniversary. That being said I suppose the airlines never can be too careful.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Cant believe this.... two more enquires from Aus just today :lol: what is going on over there :lol: :lol: :lol:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:31 pm

need to get breeders out there ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:11 am

could you send the pup to nz then to australia or does it have to stay in nz for a certain amount of time? because we can important animals from nz and they don't have to be quarantined for 30 days. maybe that could be a way around the qaurantined rule.
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:10 pm

No sorry I have to send to Aus first.

I dont know where everyone in Aus is finding us but again this morning I had another enquiry. This is really weird to get sooooooo many inside of a week :lol: :lol: anyone any ideas where they are all coming from :lol: :lol:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Hopefully someone who is interested in breeding (ethically and in accordance with TDR regulations) will import a couple of pups soon. There's already one Tam in Oz, so importing is NOT impossible - just challenging - but definitely a worthwhile pursuit.

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 am

the cost is crazy its about $1305 for the dog to stay in quarantine and then its another $350 dollars for all the stuff they do. but there was this article in the paper about wolf dogs. ill try to find it. and post it up

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 am

Jbagajluk wrote:the cost is crazy its about $1305 for the dog to stay in quarantine and then its another $350 dollars for all the stuff they do. but there was this article in the paper about wolf dogs. ill try to find it. and post it up
It is VERY important for Australia that they understand that there is NO wolf content in the Tamaskan otherwise they wont allow entry. I will contact the Australian Quarantine Kennels shortly and get some quotes and information to post here.

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 pm

i asked my dad cause he showed me the article but i remember now. the article was about the foxes in russia that had been breed to become domesticated and then then article went on about lions and wolves becoming possible domestication in the future and then they talked about dog breeds that look like wolves but were just dogs and one of the breeds they mentioned was a Saarloos wolfdog and from google i found the tamaskan.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Blustag wrote:
It is VERY important for Australia that they DONT understand that there is NO wolf content in the Tamaskan otherwise they wont allow entry. I will contact the Australian Quarantine Kennels shortly and get some quotes and information to post here.
Don't you mean they DO understand, if they don't understand there is no wolf there may be a problem..?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Exactly. Wolfdogs are not allowed in Australia but Tamaskans are allowed - that's why it's so important to only buy from TDR registered breeders (because all the breeding dogs are DNA profiled, back to the foundation dogs, and the pedigrees prove that there is no wolf content).

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:06 pm

we are allowed to have wolfdogs but they must be 7 generations from the wolf but i doubt australia would still let them in. we are pretty paranoid about everything.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Boreal wrote:
Blustag wrote:
It is VERY important for Australia that they DONT understand that there is NO wolf content in the Tamaskan otherwise they wont allow entry. I will contact the Australian Quarantine Kennels shortly and get some quotes and information to post here.
Don't you mean they DO understand, if they don't understand there is no wolf there may be a problem..?
Thanks :D I spotted it and then read your post :lol: sorted now.

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:12 am

Hi folks - sorry I've been quiet for a while! Would love to claim credit for the interest in tams over here in oz but don't think it's me! People are really interested in him though :D

Just to clarify a few points - when we exported our boys the rules re. Quarantine were strict and non negotiable. It's all about the relative risk factor involved. The UK doesn't have rabies but Oz has even less (if that makes sense) so the shortest time a dog (other than from nz) can spend in ozzy quarantine is 30 days.

If you try and go via nz i think quarantine in oz would be exempt, but only if hes been in nz for over 90 days. If you try and go via the US you'd not be able to bypass any rules. In fact it would probably hinder you. The paperwork is sooo complex and you need to declare the dog has been in the UK since birth, or for at least the past 6 months continuously. You take him out of the UK and to oz via another country his quarantine time will likely increase. Also for import to oz, they have to come into the country on the same plane they were put onto in the UK and can't leave the crate they were sealed in by the UK vet until the vet in oz opens it in quarantine. Crazy! BUT since 80% of all flora and fauna in oz is unique and indigenous I guess they can't be too careful :)

As for wolf dogs in oz, we had to provide all the tamaskan paperwork for Tuskyn in his reams and reams of regular import paperwork. Our vet and I also had to declare in writing that he wasn't a wolf, and on his import paperwork he was listed as a desexed 'Tamaskan - husky x gsd' Customs and quarantine were cool about that. The fact he is desexed also made it a lot easier.

Hope this helps! For the record the boys are LOVING it here and I'll post some pics soon! :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Great to hear from you :D Can you email me please as I dont have your email address any more :( I have lots of questions ;) Im also about to send over a puppy to Aus from our next litters and the people receiving puppy would like to contact you Im sure. ;) This will be the first 'genuine' Tamaskan going over to Aus apart from yours of course. ;)

Thanks for the info above...very interesting.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:12 am

Also, if you're getting a pup from the US, it can't come over before it's 6months. Only 3 months for the UK. I'm definitely going to get one. I just have to save up the 4500-5000 it's going to cost for pup, flight, application fees, quarantine stay ($1300 just for that!) :D
Image Image

Flea
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Flea » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:14 am

Unfortunatly after 1st jan 2012 the pup is going to have to be much old than 3 months to come down to oz from the UK. The Australian government is making it so the same restrictions that apply to importing from most other countries, like the US, are imposed on a dog being imported from the UK. The pup will be at least 10-11 months old before it get to its new family

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:33 am

Yeh I know bummer! Oh well.slightly older pup is better than no pup!
Image Image

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Here we rabies vaccinate at no younger than 12 weeks (by law) BUT having spoken at length with my vet and also my vet in Finland they both agree that Rabies shots can be given much younger with success. SO.....if I were to vaccinate earlier..,.then the bloods can be done sooner and so fly out the puppy one month prior to deadline required by AUS. This means that puppy is lighter in weight for flying making it less expensive and puppy spends the last 30 days in quarantine before going home. This is better than puppy being older and as it has to spend 30 days in quarantine anyhow then it may as well go earlier and get out earlier.

Obviously I will have to keep puppies here until such time as they will fly out so in the meantime photos will be sent to new owners to keep them up to date. Puppy will also be fully vaccinated of course and will have some basic training and will be taken out to town and socialised so that when they arrive in Aus they should be well behaved and ready to go straight out on a lead..., That is plan A. :lol: If I hadnt already successfully exported to NZ from UK I wouldnt take on this daunting task for sure.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:56 am

My vet said the same thing about the Rabies Vaccination - can be given very young, but the "risk" to this is a little bit bigger as it is the same amount of vaccination used nomatter the size - Lynn I'd like to order a pre-trained puppy pleeeeeease :lol:
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Nino wrote:My vet said the same thing about the Rabies Vaccination - can be given very young, but the "risk" to this is a little bit bigger as it is the same amount of vaccination used nomatter the size - Lynn I'd like to order a pre-trained puppy pleeeeeease :lol:
:lol: sounds ace doesn't it :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 pm

TerriHolt wrote:need to get breeders out there ;)

well hopefully i can get a little boy with nice hips and two testicles (lol) and theres half the work!
Image Image

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:08 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
Nino wrote:My vet said the same thing about the Rabies Vaccination - can be given very young, but the "risk" to this is a little bit bigger as it is the same amount of vaccination used nomatter the size - Lynn I'd like to order a pre-trained puppy pleeeeeease :lol:
:lol: sounds ace doesn't it :D
Sure does ;)

Though I like the training myself hehe
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Well I can certainly guarantee the testicles but cant guarantee the hips sorry. ;)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Haha close enough! Will just have to have my fingers crossed :p
Image Image

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:37 am

So.. roughly how much $$ should I have in my piggy bank before I start getting too excited about these lovely doggies?
:oops:
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:57 am

Everythin is Approx and will prob change by he time it ready:
Puppy: about 1600
Airfair: at least the same again
Blood tests: I dunno
Appication fees for dog to come to aus: 325-385
30 days quarantine: bit over 1300
Airfair for pup from quarantine to SA: 400(?)
Any vet costs while in quarantine too.
Image Image

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 am

Hell, that's not too bad :D
Well not compared to another breed I was looking at that I was buyng from Australia!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:07 am

Really???? Lol. What breed was that? Your the first person to say "that's not bad" and not "Kylie your crazy"
Image Image

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Its not that much more than I paid to have my Canadian Eskimo Dog imported from Canada (except she skipped quarentine).... I did expect it to be more...
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:40 pm

The breed in question was a Finnish Lapphund. A great little breed.
Amazing temprament, great looking.
I've decided against one for now because I'm more interested in sled racing and want another sled dog.

The purchase price for mains register was $2000 alone :/
Not that cost really matters if I get a great dog

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 am

Kyliedelonge wrote:Everythin is Approx and will prob change by he time it ready:
Puppy: about 1600
Airfair: at least the same again
Blood tests: I dunno
Appication fees for dog to come to aus: 325-385
30 days quarantine: bit over 1300
Airfair for pup from quarantine to SA: 400(?)
Any vet costs while in quarantine too.
For our two, it totalled approximately £10k and that doesn't include the purchase price of the boys in the first place. There were vets bills, travel crates, flights, travel insurance, DEFRA export permits, AQIS import permits, 30 days quarantine, dog walking in quarantine for 30 days and finally transport from quarantine to our new home.

All in all it was the most stressful part of our move down here, but I'd do it all again for them. They're part of the family! The only thing I'd do differently would be I'd travel on the same plane as them next time.

We flew out 3 days later thinking it would give us a buffer in case there were any problems with paperwork at the airport. However when QANTAS grounded their flights for a few days earlier in the month the first thing we thought of were the animals in transit. If any flights to Oz were grounded en route, the animals would have HUGE problems. From a basic "who would look after them", right through to someone innocently opening the crate before getting to Oz. We've decided next time, we'll be on the same plane, just in case. It was a scenario that we'd not even considered! Thankfully I don't think it happens too often and I'm sure there are procedures in place ;)