health tests for breeding

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

health tests for breeding

Post by juice » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:54 pm

hi would it be possible for someone to put a list of all the health tests required before deciding on breeding. also it would be good to say what they are all for and where to get these tests done and how long the results take to come back. also what age does the dog need to be for each test. if anyone knows what they cost that would be good.
since all the changes i think possible breeders need a place to come and check that they haven't forgotten anything. it will need to be what the tdr is going to accept for on the database, so if there is only one place that does the dna for example we would need to know that.
i know its all out there but having it all in one place would be good, i think.
cheers you are all working hard and it is much appreciated by all of us. :)

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Re: health tests for breeding

Post by susann » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 pm

That would be great :D

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Ooh a test! Lol As far as I remember, the minimum requirements are:
DM - taken at any time I think. (unless clear by parentage)
DNA - should be taken after pups are weaned. Must be sent to scidera (that's probably not anywhere near the correct spelling)
Hips- must be 18 or under. Must be scored through the BVA. Cannot be done before 1 year.
Cert of entirety- for males. Signed by vet.
PRA eye test (?)
Image Image

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm too busy to write everything down in detail right now but will do this at a later time and add the information to the TDR website ;)
To correct Kylie a bit, DM isn't required BUT every mating must have at least one clear parent. Hips can be done at any age (so doesn't have to be under 18 months), dog must be at least 1 year old though. Eye testing isn't required.

Marshall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Marshall » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 pm

lol ignore this post, I made a mistake :lol:

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 am

does scideria ship to uk and are these the only people to do this.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:52 am

Rahne wrote:I'm too busy to write everything down in detail right now but will do this at a later time and add the information to the TDR website ;)
To correct Kylie a bit, DM isn't required BUT every mating must have at least one clear parent. Hips can be done at any age (so doesn't have to be under 18 months), dog must be at least 1 year old though. Eye testing isn't required.
I thought she meant hip score 18 or below :D

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 am

Yes I meant the score had to be 18 or under. :) thanks rahne I wasnt sure if the eye test was a must do
Image Image

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 am

I will talk with Rahne about setting up a page on our new website she has created with what tests are the minimum you have to do and when you need to them and extra tests.
Would be good with discribtions of what they are for and how you go about it..

Scidera needs to be done through a TDR representative since they do not allow just anyone to send them in..
>> Nino <<

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 am

Kylievr wrote:Yes I meant the score had to be 18 or under. :) thanks rahne I wasnt sure if the eye test was a must do
Ahh yes of course lol, see I needed some sleep :oops:

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 am

that is great. it would be good for first time breeders to have a place to go and see what they need to do.
i have been trying to find out if skye(blustag little bear) and nevada (blustag bindaree) are clear of dm as if they are that would make lexi clear by parentage and wouldn't need to be tested. can misayca (fiona) be contacted for the dna test.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 am

Does DNA has to go trough scideria? :? I had them taken at a lab here in the NL.
Also, we don't have BVA hipscoring here.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

Karen wrote:Does DNA has to go trough scideria? :? I had them taken at a lab here in the NL.
Hi Karen, every lab uses a different way to set markers to create a DNA profile so that's why all Tamaskan have to use the same lab, otherwise you can't compare the markers to eachother and establish parentage.

For the BVA hip scoring you could have your vet send the X-rays with the correct paperwork to the BVA in England. I have had Konah scored by them aswell.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 am

juice wrote:that is great. it would be good for first time breeders to have a place to go and see what they need to do.
i have been trying to find out if skye(blustag little bear) and nevada (blustag bindaree) are clear of dm as if they are that would make lexi clear by parentage and wouldn't need to be tested. can misayca (fiona) be contacted for the dna test.
Skye is DM clear and Nevada is DM carrier so you would have to test Lexi for DM. John is currently talking with Scideria because I believe Lynn had arranged for him to be 'blocked' (so they won't work with him anymore, only with Lynn) so that needs to be sorted first. :roll:

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 am

Rahne wrote:
juice wrote:that is great. it would be good for first time breeders to have a place to go and see what they need to do.
Skye is DM clear and Nevada is DM carrier so you would have to test Lexi for DM. John is currently talking with Scideria because I believe Lynn had arranged for him to be 'blocked' (so they won't work with him anymore, only with Lynn) so that needs to be sorted first. :roll:
Nevada is carrier... And sibling to Magu? Was hoping that my boys came out of DM free lines :?

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 am

Rahne wrote:
Karen wrote:Does DNA has to go trough scideria? :? I had them taken at a lab here in the NL.
Hi Karen, every lab uses a different way to set markers to create a DNA profile so that's why all Tamaskan have to use the same lab, otherwise you can't compare the markers to eachother and establish parentage.

For the BVA hip scoring you could have your vet send the X-rays with the correct paperwork to the BVA in England. I have had Konah scored by them aswell.
That's really frustrating... cause I sent al bloodtests of Magu to this lab and it is not cheap :( Could somebody please tell me in advance next time?!
So, how do I get the scidera tests?
I can sent the x-rays over to BVA.

What is a bit weird, is that FCI only acknowledges hipscoring if done it the country or registration. what would be the NL for Magu.
So, for pedigree dogs it isn't even allowed to go to BVA England, but for tamaskans it is required?

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 am

Lynn arranged for John to be blocked???!!! What kind of vindictive move is that, talk about trying to cover your tracks, I hope they realise soon that we're the honest ones here and not the ones trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes?! It just gets worse the levels she will stoop to.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 am

Karen wrote:
Rahne wrote:
Nevada is carrier... And sibling to Magu? Was hoping that my boys came out of DM free lines :?
Yes Nevada is a carrier and litter sibling to Magu. Tumanra is a carrier, Banjo has not been tested. Jackal is DM clear, Bindi has not been tested.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 am

Rahne wrote:
Isnt a lab supposed to be neutral and not in service of 1 person?!

So, where does that leave us with sending all our dog's dna to them?

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am

Rahne wrote: Yes Nevada is a carrier and litter sibling to Magu. Tumanra is a carrier, Banjo has not been tested. Jackal is DM clear, Bindi has not been tested.
Ok.

And to think I can recall a certain person to blame Miran for bringing DM into the breed... Summer was carrier, but now there were even more :(

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 am

Karen wrote:
Rahne wrote:

That's really frustrating... cause I sent al bloodtests of Magu to this lab and it is not cheap :( Could somebody please tell me in advance next time?!
So, how do I get the scidera tests?
I can sent the x-rays over to BVA.

What is a bit weird, is that FCI only acknowledges hipscoring if done it the country or registration. what would be the NL for Magu.
So, for pedigree dogs it isn't even allowed to go to BVA England, but for tamaskans it is required?
Sorry :oops:

For the Scideria DNA swab you have to wait a bit as John needs to talk to the lab first.

I've tried sending over Konah her X-rays to the Raad van Beheer but they did not take them because she isn't a pedigree dog! After that the TDR made a new rule that all Tamaskan should be hip scored by BVA, they accept all dogs (pedigree or mix) to be scored and that way we can also compare the hip scores to the rest of the breed. I will send you an email about the hip scoring, how it works with the BVA :)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:47 am

Nahani wrote:Lynn arranged for John to be blocked???!!! What kind of vindictive move is that, talk about trying to cover your tracks, I hope they realise soon that we're the honest ones here and not the ones trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes?! It just gets worse the levels she will stoop to.
I think we know what kind of vindictive, cheating person she is... she would sell her own kin to save her own skin Image (or as it were )

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:51 am

TerriHolt wrote:
Nahani wrote:Lynn arranged for John to be blocked???!!! What kind of vindictive move is that, talk about trying to cover your tracks, I hope they realise soon that we're the honest ones here and not the ones trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes?! It just gets worse the levels she will stoop to.
I think we know what kind of vindictive, cheating person she is... she would sell her own kin to save her own skin Image (or as it were )
We all know Lynn by now, so no surprises there.
I have problems with a lab that plays along with this BS! They should be neutral, period. Makes me question them.
Wonder if scideria ever saw the slander she posted on them....

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:54 am

juice wrote:hi would it be possible for someone to put a list of all the health tests required before deciding on breeding. also it would be good to say what they are all for and where to get these tests done and how long the results take to come back. also what age does the dog need to be for each test. if anyone knows what they cost that would be good.
since all the changes i think possible breeders need a place to come and check that they haven't forgotten anything. it will need to be what the tdr is going to accept for on the database, so if there is only one place that does the dna for example we would need to know that.
i know its all out there but having it all in one place would be good, i think.
cheers you are all working hard and it is much appreciated by all of us. :)
So, to get back to the TS...: YES!

All required health tests should be made public and how/where they should be made... would have saved me a lot of money.
And results be made public

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 am

HI,

The info about DNA testing has been on the forum for a while in the Health topic on the main board index...

http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2171

Sorry you hadn't seen it, :(

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:08 am

Nahani wrote:HI,

The info about DNA testing has been on the forum for a while in the Health topic on the main board index...

http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2171

Sorry you hadn't seen it, :(
Saw it, but it wasn't clear to me that ALL tests had to go to them. I talked to some people and no one mentioned I couldnt sent my samples to an other ( local) lab.

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:28 am

was hoping that skye and nevada would be clear. at least i know i have to test lexi now. all of these tests are very confusing to those of us that are not scientifcly minded :lol: . what are the chances of lexi being a carrier or at risk (can't figure it out sorry am a bit dim). i can't find the link for the new tdr can anyone pm me with it please.
hopefully when this has been added to the new page it will save any confusion as all information will be in the one place. this is why i have asked for it as i am needing to sort health testing for lexi and wanted to make sure all tests would be accepted by the tdr. she is 13months so i need to save up and get her sorted if i want to breed with her next year :D :D , but don't think i am rushing you as i am not just wanted to set ball in motion so i have plenty of time.
you guys are doing such a great job :D

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am

Ok, so if one parent is clear and the other parent is carrier the offspring have a 50% chance of being a carrier or clear. This means that the offspring will be either carriers or clear. Even for carriers the DM will never be manifest as only half of the two genes necessary to cause DM are present. But for breeding purposes you would only be able to mate your carrier (If that is how she tests) to a clear dog. You can send for the DNA testing kit from the laboklin website, it costs about £75 for the test results but the kit is sent to you first free of charge:

http://www.laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/show ... stID=8158D

Hope this helps, Dani

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am

Generally we recommend for all breeding dogs to be DM tested via the OFA, so we have a complete database of all Tamaskan dogs that have been DM tested. The DM test costs $65: https://secure.offa.org/Cart.html
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 pm

If you are not in a hurry with the DM test I would also recommend OFA, it's a lot cheaper (+- £42) ;)

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 pm

think i will go with ofa as it is alot cheaper. cheers

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 pm

I sent my test to this lab: http://www.vhlgenetics.com/vhl/?lang=uk

Is in Dutch and Englisch language, so readable for everybody.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm

I've not had much to say with all that has been going on with the 'Two Blu's' but I have to say I'm staggered by it all.

The dog they have mated with Winnie has not been tested !! furthermore they dont have the details of his parent's, or even HIS NAME and record's !!! surely that would have been the first thing to verify before using a stud dog. Then on their new list of foundation dog's, there are more listed as having "ancestry is unknown"..
How can any breeding, for health and temprament, be based on this kind of irrasponcible attatude...
Then it turn's out that one of their most prolific stud dog's, Jackal, is actually more likely to be a huskey...

I think that what they have done, in my oppinion, is to "create" a breed, quickly, using inapropriate dog's, extreamly poor record keeping (at best) and have deliberatley taken people's money for nothing more than a mongral with a fancy name. We have all paid A LOT of money for these "Untested dog's" and I for one feel very cheated and decieved.

I think that in line with this topic thread, EVERY dog should be tested for DM and DNA. whether they are going to be used for breeding or as pet's. Then an ACCURATE history and database can be established.

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Yep, Ayla is supposed to be DM free by parentage, but... Seeing what is happening right now, I'd prefer test her again.
Just to be sure.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 pm

That is mighty good of you to do Lynwae even though it might not be necessary.

I acturally also was with the thought that I would be going with Laboklin.. I really think we need to make that information page :lol:
At the moment I am just waiting for the forms for BVA - when other people have contacted BVA have you gotten a reply?
I used the mail that is here on the forum, but I haven't heard anything after writing them around 14 days ago and then 12 days after again..
I find it rather frustrating, they could as a minimum reply...
>> Nino <<

BinBin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BinBin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 pm

issylupus wrote:Then on their new list of foundation dog's, there are more listed as having "ancestry is unknown"..
How can any breeding, for health and temprament, be based on this kind of irrasponcible attatude...
Then it turn's out that one of their most prolific stud dog's, Jackal, is actually more likely to be a huskey...
Well this part of their foundation dogs is a pure lie. They know and have always known what they have, regarding the Finnish dogs at least. Jackal is half siberian, his mother is Polar Speed Pauliina and the other half is Csv, his father is pure CsV Oxbow Leva-Neve. They have previously stated they know them all, and they do. Claiming suddenly they dont is just to cover up and accuse other people (i.e. myself and Reijo) of their lies.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04 pm

BinBin wrote:
issylupus wrote:Then on their new list of foundation dog's, there are more listed as having "ancestry is unknown"..
Well this part of their foundation dogs is a pure lie. They know and have always known what they have, regarding the Finnish dogs at least. Jackal is half siberian, his mother is Polar Speed Pauliina and the other half is Csv, his father is pure CsV Oxbow Leva-Neve. They have previously stated they know them all, and they do. Claiming suddenly they dont is just to cover up and accuse other people (i.e. myself and Reijo) of their lies.
I'm not sure what Csv stand's for as I am quite new to the Tamaskan dog. Jackal is the father of my bitch, Shay, and I find this whole situation very upsetting and confusing.
I live by a code,: "Respect and honesty are the seed's of honor" something my Dad use to say to me all the time when I was a kid. I suppose I have just grown up expecting other people to have the same mentallity...obviousley not, in this case.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Csv is a czech wolf dog. People have diff abbreviations for it depending on where thy are from.
Image Image

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 pm

issylupus wrote:
BinBin wrote:
I'm not sure what Csv stand's for as I am quite new to the Tamaskan dog. Jackal is the father of my bitch, Shay, and I find this whole situation very upsetting and confusing.
I live by a code,: "Respect and honesty are the seed's of honor" something my Dad use to say to me all the time when I was a kid. I suppose I have just grown up expecting other people to have the same mentallity...obviousley not, in this case.
CsV stands for Czechslovakian Vlcak. Jackal is rumored to be a CsV/Husky mix - his dam being Polar Speed Pauliine and his sire rumored to be the CsV Oxbow Leva-Neve (call name Oskari) who lived at Polar Speed Kennels.

It was claimed that "Oskari" on Tamaskan pedigrees is Polar Speed Oskari, a purebred Huksy residing at Wild Motion Kennels. However, it is further claimed that the pictures posted of "Oskari" by Lynn and on the foundation dog booklet is Oxbow Leva-Neve, the CsV. The foundation dog booklet further states that it is believed that Jackal at Blustag is 50% pure husky.

I will leave the facts and claims to you to make your own decision. ;)

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Well this part of their foundation dogs is a pure lie. They know and have always known what they have, regarding the Finnish dogs at least. Jackal is half siberian, his mother is Polar Speed Pauliina and the other half is Csv, his father is pure CsV Oxbow Leva-Neve.
So Jackal is the stud dog for a lot of "Tamaskan's" who are infact .....'wolf dog's WITH the wolf'....

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm

issylupus wrote:Well this part of their foundation dogs is a pure lie. They know and have always known what they have, regarding the Finnish dogs at least. Jackal is half siberian, his mother is Polar Speed Pauliina and the other half is Csv, his father is pure CsV Oxbow Leva-Neve.
So Jackal is the stud dog for a lot of "Tamaskan's" who are infact .....'wolf dog's WITH the wolf'....

Yes... This is the bit Lynna and jennie have denied while slandering a whole bunch of people in the process... That thing she also accused many people of doing to her (but to us normal folk, that would be known as truth).

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:59 am

What makes it a bit frustrating to me... Cause you hear a lot of people say we have to give her credit of producing such stable standard in a " breed " in such a short time.
But to me, it doesn't seem that hard to produce a wolf-look-a-like out of wolfdogs. Using Csv, saarloos and lines as Boogie.
Taking credit on other peoples work...

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am

Karen wrote:What makes it a bit frustrating to me... Cause you hear a lot of people say we have to give her credit of producing such stable standard in a " breed " in such a short time.
But to me, it doesn't seem that hard to produce a wolf-look-a-like out of wolfdogs. Using Csv, saarloos and lines as Boogie.
Taking credit on other peoples work...

This is what i said to my mum (who i hope lynn never meets down a dark ally... she is fuming)... Before, it was said she created the look alone (husky, mal, gsd) which to me... seemed good but using dogs that other people put work into... meh... not so impressive anymore and those other people were honest about what they did too unlike some...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 am

Sorry to get back on track, but before breeding, it is also wise to have your vet do a health check just to ensure both dogs are in good health and do a brucellosis titer. These are important in addition to the other health tests. Being proactive can save the litter instead of trying to deal with issues after the fact.
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am

In regard of Brucellosis and problems like it - it would be wise to look into if it is a risk where you live.. Ex. I have never heard of this being a problem in Denmark - so like with other diseases (ex heartworm) it can be local ..
>> Nino <<

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am

As far as I know, brucelossis is merely a problem in southern european counties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B.mel ... Europe.svg

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Karen wrote:As far as I know, brucelossis is merely a problem in southern european counties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B.mel ... Europe.svg
That explains why I had never heard about it before getting into the Tamaskan and RPK having the problem :lol:
>> Nino <<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 pm

I was looking over the tamaskan-dog.com page and it says that CERF testing was a req in America, but optional everywhere else what's CERF, and why is it only a req in America?
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Kylievr wrote:I was looking over the tamaskan-dog.com page and it says that CERF testing was a req in America, but optional everywhere else what's CERF, and why is it only a req in America?

CERF - Canine Eye Registration Foundation... annual eye testing... (well, i think it's annual or is it just a one off?)

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 pm

No, CERF is supposed to be done annually. And you have to find a clinic that does it--some locations are only done a few times a year--and many clinics are hours away at best.

As far as I knew, CERF is not required in the US, as no US dogs were found to have eye issues. I wonder, though, if it's like DM--where if both parents are tested that it clears the pup.

A list of clinics in the US can be found here: http://www.vmdb.org/upcomingCERFclinics.html

I would just like to add: for those folks in areas with brucillosis--don't underestimate this STD in dogs. It can cause sterility.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends