What is the purpose of the Tamaskan Dog?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: What is the purpose of the Tamaskan Dog?

Post by Booma » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Working dogs don't do it for me.
Image Image

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:54 am

My Tamaskan is a companion in the house but if I hook him up to the sled he can be a maniac with the rest of the pulling breeds screaming and howling to run/pull... I think they have the possibility to be both... Zephyr would be in heaven if he could pull the sled every day but he can do without it and go for a good long walk but he defiantly isn't as happy with that as pulling the sled. I would like to keep that want to work in my lines. I like that at the end of the day he is a great house dog and will climb up in my lap and snuggle too. He isn't a 100% working dog and he isn't 100% companion dog.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:35 pm

What I want to avoid at all costs is breeding purely for looks. I don't want to lose the workability just because a dog is prettier than the one who can actually do a job. My fear is that if we accept that they are companion dogs all the structure goes out the window. I think that would be a very sad day when all we are breeding are froo froo dogs who don't have the potential to do any sort of work at all. I want a dog with a purpose. That is why I am interested in the UKC vs. the AKC route. From what I understand, the UKC is more interested in function, and the AKC cares about beauty.
Please remember that a dog still has to get from point A to point B even if it is a companion dog. If they aren't properly put together they will be more prone to injury.
Back to my original post and question--of course I know these answers--I was trying to solicit some thought from the community on what dogs we should or shouldn't add to the breed.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:37 pm

AZDehlin wrote:My Tamaskan is a companion in the house but if I hook him up to the sled he can be a maniac with the rest of the pulling breeds screaming and howling to run/pull... I think they have the possibility to be both... Zephyr would be in heaven if he could pull the sled every day but he can do without it and go for a good long walk but he defiantly isn't as happy with that as pulling the sled. I would like to keep that want to work in my lines. I like that at the end of the day he is a great house dog and will climb up in my lap and snuggle too. He isn't a 100% working dog and he isn't 100% companion dog.
I just want to throw it out there that Hedlund Huskies do this too--they are happy in the harness and they are happy on the couch.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:47 pm

I (personally) just really really don't want the temperament of a husky, I love them dearly and could handle them if that is the direction the breed went. But would like a softer more obedient dog than that. If the Tamaskan became solely working dog I don't know how many people outside the working/sled world would really want them, which is why I am guessing so many huskies end up in shelters.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 pm

balto13 wrote:I (personally) just really really don't want the temperament of a husky, I love them dearly and could handle them if that is the direction the breed went. But would like a softer more obedient dog than that. If the Tamaskan became solely working dog I don't know how many people outside the working/sled world would really want them, which is why I am guessing so many huskies end up in shelters.
I agree with you! But if you met a Hedlund Husky you would change your mind. They are different from racing huskies--they are meant for touring. So you can have the workability without the "craziness."
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
balto13 wrote:I (personally) just really really don't want the temperament of a husky, I love them dearly and could handle them if that is the direction the breed went. But would like a softer more obedient dog than that. If the Tamaskan became solely working dog I don't know how many people outside the working/sled world would really want them, which is why I am guessing so many huskies end up in shelters.
I agree with you! But if you met a Hedlund Husky you would change your mind. They are different from racing huskies--they are meant for touring. So you can have the workability without the "craziness."

phew! I could handle and would even want a dog that would want to hike, walk and venture with me AND still be able to cuddle, but have to admit that I have had my share of the husky crazies to last a life time :lol: :lol:

...off topic, so if it's more appropriate for me to PM you let me know, but how would I go about meeting a Hedlund Husky? Is that what "points unknown" have at their kennels?

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 pm

100% agree Dani! :D

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 pm

I like the companion traits the tamaskan has over other "working dogs" just because I'd rather have a dog that loves cuddles over 10+ hours of exercise. I don't mind the hour or two of exercise tams need, but anything more than that and I wouldn't personally be able to handle the breed. Sure I want a companion dog but that doesn't mean I want a couch potato either, I like the best of both worlds!

Getting an outcross that not only looks good but can add new healthy blood and traits is what we're looking for isn't it? I'd personally take that over a saarloos dog or some other "wild" outcross even though its legally past wolfy genes lol. To me tamaskans should hold onto the fact that they are bred for their good temperaments but also because they are supposed to be all dog (in theory of course lol) while looking like a wolf. If there's a breed of husky that'll add good traits, health, and looks then why not?

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:My Tamaskan is a companion in the house but if I hook him up to the sled he can be a maniac with the rest of the pulling breeds screaming and howling to run/pull... I think they have the possibility to be both... Zephyr would be in heaven if he could pull the sled every day but he can do without it and go for a good long walk but he defiantly isn't as happy with that as pulling the sled. I would like to keep that want to work in my lines. I like that at the end of the day he is a great house dog and will climb up in my lap and snuggle too. He isn't a 100% working dog and he isn't 100% companion dog.
I just want to throw it out there that Hedlund Huskies do this too--they are happy in the harness and they are happy on the couch.
Perfect, a working dog that is also a good companion at the end of the day. Your keeping one of the Freyja x Arrow pups right?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 am

AZDehlin wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
Perfect, a working dog that is also a good companion at the end of the day. Your keeping one of the Freyja x Arrow pups right?
Hrm....I think I might want one. ;) If not, I'm def rooting for a Raven x Noque pup!! :lol:

But yes, I agree that that's what I'm looking for: a working dog that makes a good companion at the end of the day. :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 am

arianwenarie wrote: Hrm....I think I might want one. ;) If not, I'm def rooting for a Raven x Noque pup!! :lol:

But yes, I agree that that's what I'm looking for: a working dog that makes a good companion at the end of the day. :D
I have yet to request permission from the TDR to use Noque. If he is approved upon request, I will have him, hip tested, elbow tested, dm tested, wolf hybrid tested, coat color tested... Plus what ever else tdr requests. I also want the bitch he is bred to be coat color tested to make sure she doesn't carry the liver gene, I would also like puppies coat color tested so puppies that carry liver gene do not go to breeding homes... This is a lot to ask from a breeder, but Noque carries the liver gene and I want to make sure to prevent more liver carriers into breeding homes... so we will see who wants to go through that to use him... If no one wants too I will use him once I get my own compatible bitch.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 am

AZDehlin wrote:
arianwenarie wrote: Hrm....I think I might want one. ;) If not, I'm def rooting for a Raven x Noque pup!! :lol:

I have yet to request permission from the TDR to use Noque. If he is approved upon request, I will have him, hip tested, elbow tested, dm tested, wolf hybrid tested, coat color tested... Plus what ever else tdr requests. I also want the bitch he is bred to be coat color tested to make sure she doesn't carry the liver gene, I would also like puppies coat color tested so puppies that carry liver gene do not go to breeding homes... This is a lot to ask from a breeder, but Noque carries the liver gene and I want to make sure to prevent more liver carriers into breeding homes... so we will see who wants to go through that to use him... If no one wants too I will use him once I get my own compatible bitch.
Wow. That's a lot to go through and I totally forgot about the liver gene... :( Either way, I'd still want a Noque pup - can't wait to see how he turns out as an adult; I'm sure he'll be insanely handsome. ;)

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:32 am

What I've seen about Hedlund Huskies is very intriguing to me, especially since they've been termed "working pets" by some, and that really seems to be the direction that people want the Tamaskan to go in as well, but having a more wolfy look to them.
-Crystal

Dani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dani » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:53 am

You know what would be really nice? If we could find a few breeders of some of the various breeds, like the hedlund huskies, shilo shepherds, and whatever other out cross breeds that are on the table. Then ask them to participate in a live/recorded video study of their dogs in their home, kennels or play yard.

It would be very nice to not only meet these breeds but more so, to be able to monitor them in a more day to day scenario. Like Hawthorn does with their puppy live cams. -- Say you have a kennel yard and a play yard, you have.. 10+ dogs. Wire up a few cameras at least one on the kennels and another on the play yard. It will give viewers a REAL look into that breeds behaviors. How they really interact day to day, and a look at many of them at once. Sort of like a breed assessment project. You really just never know a breed until you deal with them day to day. Even then, you need to deal with a few of them, as we know, dogs are individuals and one might have such a wonderful personality, were as the next is a fence fighter. ...Take Siberian Huskies for example, I had a few bloodlines that I had to TRIPLE fence to keep them from ripping their neighbor through the kennel fence during feeding time. Yet on the flip side of the coin, one of my other bloodlines could be trusted ALONE with cats and off leash recall.

If this WAS a possibility, I'd want to review a few different breeders kennels, of various bloodlines of that breed. It would help give more predictability to what exactly is being put into the dogs we already have. I really don't know if this could even be done, It's just one idea.

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 am

Dani wrote:You know what would be really nice? If we could find a few breeders of some of the various breeds, like the hedlund huskies, shilo shepherds, and whatever other out cross breeds that are on the table. Then ask them to participate in a live/recorded video study of their dogs in their home, kennels or play yard.

It would be very nice to not only meet these breeds but more so, to be able to monitor them in a more day to day scenario. Like Hawthorn does with their puppy live cams. -- Say you have a kennel yard and a play yard, you have.. 10+ dogs. Wire up a few cameras at least one on the kennels and another on the play yard. It will give viewers a REAL look into that breeds behaviors. How they really interact day to day, and a look at many of them at once. Sort of like a breed assessment project. You really just never know a breed until you deal with them day to day. Even then, you need to deal with a few of them, as we know, dogs are individuals and one might have such a wonderful personality, were as the next is a fence fighter. ...Take Siberian Huskies for example, I had a few bloodlines that I had to TRIPLE fence to keep them from ripping their neighbor through the kennel fence during feeding time. Yet on the flip side of the coin, one of my other bloodlines could be trusted ALONE with cats and off leash recall.

If this WAS a possibility, I'd want to review a few different breeders kennels, of various bloodlines of that breed. It would help give more predictability to what exactly is being put into the dogs we already have. I really don't know if this could even be done, It's just one idea.
Sounds like a great idea :D

----

With this question on the table is the purpose of the breed explained on the TDR website?
Katurah