Tomaskan vs German Shepherd Husky Mix

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Laurencetuk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tomaskan vs German Shepherd Husky Mix

Post by Laurencetuk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Has anyone kept both?

Does anyone know how they compare to each other, temperament wise, recall, family?

Appearance-wise, Tamaskans are obviously far more wolf-like..

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tomaskan vs German Shepherd Husky Mix

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:30 pm

In terms of temperament/character, Tamaskan Dogs are somewhat in the middle between a German Shepherd and a Siberian Husky. Meanwhile, a mix of those 2 breeds could behave more like one breed, or the other, or have some traits of both... it's a bit of a gamble since it is a first-generation cross, vs many years of selective breeding (as in the case of the Tamaskan breed, excluding recent outcross litters). You can see more info about Tamaskan temperament here: www.sylvaen.com/temperament.html
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Jadzia1313
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Tomaskan vs German Shepherd Husky Mix

Post by Jadzia1313 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 pm

I have two Tamaskans, a husky mix, and a Tamaskan mix.

Tamaskan 1 - An adult female of no wolf content and very heavy (68.3%) GSD. She runs zoomies like a husky and is just as goofie, but she has the focus and desire to lean and please of most GSDs. She is very calm on the leash and can even be walked and given commends by my toddler. I had put her through therapy dog courses. She has a good recall, but not solid around squirrels. All four of my dogs are great in public and socializing, but this Tamaskan is the most well-behaved dog indoors and at events, I often forget she is tied to my hip. She sits or lays down when waiting in lines, and she even does dog shows and scent work with me.

Tamaskan 2 - An 8-month-old female of no wolf content. She has some GSD, but she is mainly husky in her mix (both Siberian and Hedland). She is very sweet and calm. Like my other Tam, she loves to be around us and to cuddle. I haven't tested her recall yet, but she follows me and is right by my side when it's time to leave a dog park. She loves be hang around my daughter and is very gentler with her. She likes to learn tricks and loves to play fetch. She and my other Tam both fetch and retrieve. I'm still working on leash skills with this puppy. She loved her scent work classes.

Husky mix - A rescue rehomed to me after being dumped at a train station in another city. I was contacted to taker her in and give her a home after she had been fostered for a year. She was an adult when I got her. She looks like small, 40-pound Tamaskan, but she is Siberian Husky, German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, and Golden Retriever mix. She is the solid recall. She is in love with people and very social. I would say she is adorable in her ways. She is also calm, and she is actually my toddler's favorite dog. Despite being solid in recall and loves being carried, she isn't great on learning other tricks. She gets sad if a "sit" doesn't work and will walk away to mope. Both she and my adult Tamaskan go kayaking with me.

Tamaskan Mix - I don't really call him a Tamaskan (although he has some Tam behind him) since he came from the Ratliff puppymill. He is GSD, Siberian Husky, and Alaskan Malamute. He is by far most goofiest. He loves to husky talk, spin in circles, and stick his butt in the hair while giving you a huge grin from his upside down face. He is very lovable, but he has the bad GSD hips and needed hip surgery at 10 months old. So, he likes to do a lot more wrestling and spinning than jumping. He is very intelligent and gets all the tricks first, but on his terms and for treats he feels are work it. Otherwise, he will ignore you. The other three dogs sleep in the bedroom with me and my toddler, but this boy refuses to do so. He likes to sleep outside or with his head outside the doggy door. He is all about being outdoors and exploring. He is the first to solve any puzzle, but rather sleep than play ball. I see him in the morning when he decides he wants food. He will carry an empty bowl into my room and toss it at me. Once I fill it, he picks it up, tilts his head back to not spill the food, and carries his bowl outside to his favorite tree. He has no recall. He is ok as long as he can see you, but it can be from a mile away. If I turn and go the other direction, he will run back and past me to keep away. He never likes to leave the dog park and loves dogs over people, but is great with people and kids.